Bike failed me again

BMW picked the bike up on Monday and are scratching their heads too. They say that they are getting a spark but it's very weak. Other than that, they've just about got to the same place as me and are about to do some checks on all ignition related wires in the loom, followed by a test of the DME.

Anybody know if a used DME can be re-programmed and used on a second bike? I know they are coded to the chassis / VIN or whatever but can they be re-used? BMW guy thinks they can't for cars but doesn't know for bikes.

Have the tried very simple software update to take away all small problems first, and if ECU is dead, they can fit 2nd hand but must code everything again in bike, please ask if they have tried software 1st, I think they like your wallet.

Any news of fault yet. seems BMW is taking long time
The update from the technician today is that he has been too busy to get to it :eek::mad:
I’ll give them till Friday then I’ll speak to the service manager to find out why I’m being treated like a 2nd class customer.

I would imagine that the single technician is swamped with easy money jobs like servicing and is trying not to spend too much dedicated time on mine to keep my costs down. Even so, I don’t believe that they have involved UK technical centre yet, let alone the mothership.

I know I should be reasonable and patient BUT I MISS MY BIKE :eh

Apparently it’s an intermittent short somewhere in the wiring loom.

An impressive diagnose, given that the diagnostic said: "Coils failed short to ground"....

Even so, the solution is getting closer. :D :okay

In BMW language mean they do not know, or have do nothing yet.

No, it means it's an intermittent short. Quite common, and yes can be difficult to find. do some searching on EWS threads

What is you beef with BMW wingebag? every post it's bash bmw this, bash Bmw that, or the software if duff etc, etc, etc

Why do you bother riding one, if all you want to do is moan, you be better off buying a Honda, and have some boring reliability ( oh wait, they go wrong too) :D:D

No, it means it's an intermittent short. Quite common, and yes can be difficult to find. do some searching on EWS threads

What is you beef with BMW wingebag? every post it's bash bmw this, bash Bmw that, or the software if duff etc, etc, etc

Why do you bother riding one, if all you want to do is moan, you be better off buying a Honda, and have some boring reliability ( oh wait, they go wrong too) :D:D

not just me then:D

My Honda never went wrong. Then again, my BMW hasn’t either.

My bmw is very good, I talk of BMW service not always good, you need take tablet or go to toilet.

My bmw is very good, I talk of BMW service not always good, you need take tablet or go to toilet.

You talk bollox buttercup, if your bike is good, then you wouldn't have need for service ... you just cant resist having a pop.

Intrermittent faults are a right royal pain in the arse. They are not the fault of the service engineers, they are the poor sods that have to try and find it.
Some years ago I had to give up on a fault finding job. We called the manafacturers who sent round two service engineers. They spent a morning component swapping until they found a tiny frazzled spider on a PCB.
Nobodys fault and a pig to find, unfortunately the customer foots the bill.

You talk bollox buttercup, if your bike is good, then you wouldn't have need for service ... you just cant resist having a pop.

My bike good because I service myself, and if break fix also, I have no warranty because as I say bike is good, but many times friends have not the best service, this I can say, but you are to high on your own chair to understand, go have a poop.

Cough Cough Post 45 Do I get a prize :aidan

Seriously though I hope you get sorted and they don't take the piss with the bill considering you have already spent money with them!
Just my lasting admiration :D
I’m a bit surprised as I don’t see how this is possible. Most of the loom lies in a plastic channel until individual cores branch off to where they are needed. I did test and flex the branch to the coils with nothing found. I’d expect something like this to be caused by chafing where the wires cross a sharp metal edge but the channel should eliminate that.
On the positive side, at least I’ve now had a meaningful communication from them.

Sorry to hear the slow progress Shakey,
Now that you have an intermittent fault with a weak spark diagnosis, in the periods when it does run they can see some expanded live data,
Regarding the wiring in plastic trays, they hold moisture and with vibration and pressure at entry / exit points small wires can be crushed and wear, through / corrode,
An external look reveals very little, load testing with the 21 watt bulb and migration / short tests are what any decent master technician does these days,
Peeling the tape off the loom from the control unit to the coils would be standard practice,
The ones that get pushed in a corner are sadly when the diagnostc dartboard hasnt provided a solution, bearing in mind you erased the event data,
So unless the possibly over booked workshop tech is really switched on the excuses may continue,
Good luck, hoping to see you post a fix soon,

Its a bit Sherlock Holmesy

When you have eliminated the possible then all you are left with is the impossible and you have been very diligent! My only other idea is that the ECU itself has failed but I have only ever seen one do that in an 2005

the looms are getting shorter and shorter and the materials less and less durable it is quite possible its at a tight turn or somewhere that has pretty consistent flexing

I hope you get it sorted soon

As the bike is in the shop, we are now free to speculate to our hearts content, as the tech doesn't read it anyway :D

On my bike the coils are grounded to the cylinder, one on each side. Since the problem seems to affect both cylinders, the problem must be in the area where both cylinders share a wire, as the chance for two separate wires failing simultaneously is rather remote.
This job favours access to the schematic in order to identify common wires, as most of the wires are routed separate, and may then be ignored.

In my experience, most cable issues hase been identified to be caused at the connectors or wire clamps...

Any way, I hope the tech is able to identify the issue soon, as this must be very frustrating for OP. :thumb

As the bike is in the shop, we are now free to speculate to our hearts content, as the tech doesn't read it anyway :D

On my bike the coils are grounded to the cylinder, one on each side. Since the problem seems to affect both cylinders, the problem must be in the area where both cylinders share a wire, as the chance for two separate wires failing simultaneously is rather remote.
This job favours access to the schematic in order to identify common wires, as most of the wires are routed separate, and may then be ignored.

In my experience, most cable issues hase been identified to be caused at the connectors or wire clamps...

Any way, I hope the tech is able to identify the issue soon, as this must be very frustrating for OP. :thumb

Perfect information sir

Back
Top Bottom