Bike failed me again

ShakeyBMW

S K P
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Second recovery in six weeks:mad:
Running on one or no cylinders. This time I’m getting recovered home.
Good thing is I was going camping at Applecross so I have my helinox chair to keep me comfy.

Engine management light is on again. Turns over but won’t fire. Maybe my £600 BMW repair bill wasn’t enough.

Not good.. I've just gone into my last year of warranty on my 1200 and I'm already thinking what I do after that? I'd like to keep the bike as I did with my Bandit 1200 for 10 years... but, is it possable??

Not good..

I've just gone into my last year of warranty on my 1200 and I'm already thinking what I do after that?

I'd like to keep the bike as I did with my Bandit 1200 for 10 years... but, is it possable??

Probably not ...and unwise unfortunately

Too much to repair long term, compare the Bandit and it’s as easy as it gets technology wise, to the newer 1200 WC and that is a complex beast

Crazy place here go from bike problem, to all must sell BMW bikes, yet all have BMW bikes, many bikes have problems car also, it is called mechanical, and all depend how bike is used and treeted.

R1200 GS LC TE from 2016.
I got home just after midnight (I’m glad I wasn’t paying for the taxi :eek:). Bike was recovered this morning and is on its way home right now.

Not good.. I've just gone into my last year of warranty on my 1200 and I'm already thinking what I do after that? I'd like to keep the bike as I did with my Bandit 1200 for 10 years... but, is it possable??

I feel that it’s probably ok, but will cost LOTS of money. Modern BMW’s aren’t the quality machine they used to be.

My GS-911 tells me that both left and right stick coil outputs failed short to ground. However the fault is not currently present and by resetting fault codes I have extinguished the engine fault light. The bike will still not start however so I’ll let the battery charge up on the optimate overnight and have another look tomorrow.

I think that is is probably quite reasonable for the stick coils to fail in time due to broken down insulation etc. I’ll pull them and have a look but are there any tests I can do with a multimeter?

My GS-911 tells me that both left and right stick coil outputs failed short to ground. However the fault is not currently present and by resetting fault codes I have extinguished the engine fault light. The bike will still not start however so I’ll let the battery charge up on the optimate overnight and have another look tomorrow.

I think that is is probably quite reasonable for the stick coils to fail in time due to broken down insulation etc. I’ll pull them and have a look but are there any tests I can do with a multimeter?

Both coils failed simultaniously, and with the exact same type of failure? Hm....
Sounds like a grounding problem...

Most switches and sensors are grounded through the relevant ECU. However, the Coil secondary winding handles such high voltage that I would expect BMW to route the secondary winding ground to a separate grounding point.

This is a case where having the schematic would be very helpful :aidan

Both coils failed simultaniously, and with the exact same type of failure? Hm....
Sounds like a grounding problem...

Most switches and sensors are grounded through the relevant ECU. However, the Coil secondary winding handles such high voltage that I would expect BMW to route the secondary winding ground to a separate grounding point.

This is a case where having the schematic would be very helpful :aidan
Surely the secondary, once energised, goes to earth via the spark plug gap. My Haynes schematic shows a switching transistor between the LT and HT sides so I would imagine it is that which has failed. The two did not fail simultaneously. I was able to ride a mile or two on one cylinder before it died completely. A couple of times I was able to restart the bike and go about a quarter of a mile before the problem came again.

The weird thing is that although the bike will not now start, the engine management light has gone out and there are no standing faults on the 911.

Back
Top Bottom