2008 GS800 Off Road - Advice Needed

HangWongsSon

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So I haven’t been in here for a while as I’m working in Europe (last 3 years) in fact I’m in Austria. With a year left I started to think about what I need from my bikes.

I’ve decided I’m after a 2007 - 2009 1200GSA (short first fear) for my distance work/riding.

So I then I thought as I was in Austria I’d get a KTM 790 Adventure R (don’t berate me) but as my F800GS is tricked up for trails i.e. Ohlins on rear Progressive on front, skid pans plus tool box, metal mule luggage, comfort seat, bar risers it’s endless I’m now thinking I should just move the 800 to my off road/trail bike.

It would be good to get your wise thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First thought is that the 1200 won’t do anything the 800 can’t, just for more money. My advice; having ridden my F800GS on all kinds of roads both solo and two up, for 10 years and almost 100,000 miles; is leave the F8GS the way it is for distance work/riding and get something like a Honda CRF250 for off road and the trails. The Honda is much much lighter than the 800 and designed for off road, and is also much cheaper to buy than a 1200GSA.

First thought is that the 1200 won’t do anything the 800 can’t, just for more money. My advice; having ridden my F800GS on all kinds of roads both solo and two up, for 10 years and almost 100,000 miles; is leave the F8GS the way it is for distance work/riding and get something like a Honda CRF250 for off road and the trails. The Honda is much much lighter than the 800 and designed for off road, and is also much cheaper to buy than a 1200GSA.

Thanks great advice. Cheers

Thoughts?

Unless you are experienced offroad, the F8GS is heavy and numb

Mrs Berin ran one of the early ones, 2008 black and yellow, for off-road and on road excursions. Her biggest complaint was a snatchy throttle, and also that it was a bit tall.

If you already have your 800 tricked out how you like it, why swap it?

Mine has been great on pretty standard suspension bar some lowering front and rear.

Depends what you're thinking of doing? They're great on gravel tracks, dirt tracks etc.

Have you watched any You tube of "On her bike"?

Back
Top Bottom