SCAM WARNING IMPORTANT - Use the official Garmin Express download

Status
Not open for further replies.

developer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
SCAM WARNING - Heads up

Trying to update my NAV VI.

I didn't register it with Garmin when I first got it in 2017, as I didn't know I needed to.

Tried to connect to Garmin Express today but it wouldn't run the file after download, saying install failed, so I contacted Garmin via their live chat where Sonia told me it's a network security issue. She then put me onto a technician via telephone who told me they can fix my firewall - note - my firewall, not anything to do with the Garmin update specifically, at between £200 and £500.

This is part of the conversation and I'd welcome any thoughts?

Attachments

• Garmin Network Security.JPG
    Garmin Network Security.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 194
  • Garmin2.JPG
    Garmin2.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 240
Last edited by a moderator:
make sure your Garmin express is up to date.
Plug in your sat nav using the cable it came with, other UBS cables will work but i have found some that dont.
with some cables my PC doesnt even recognise the Sat Nav for some reason?
anyway, once connected if there is an update it should alert you, and can take a couple of hours to do the update depending on how big it is.

Once all connected up it may say everything is up to date, you shouldnt have to go messing about in menus to update. if there is one, it does it automatically.

I dont know why garmin are insisting its your firewall?
your firewill stops dodgy internet traffic talking to your computer, once a file is downloaded the only thing to stop it is your AntiVirus software
which for the record, mine has never been alerted to anything my garmin was involved with?

from what you say, it downloads ok, but hits a problem when trying to send the file to your GPS.

only thing i can think of, is the USB lead your using or the GPS memory is full and cant cache the new maps?

I've had a call from the "Garmin technicians" and Googled the number - it comes up as a very dangerous number on "Who Called Me" so combined with the nonsense dialogue from Sonia I'm convinced it's a scam - beware.

NAV VI Update Issue

It’s a scam, but unfortunately Garmin are not very good with there anti-fraud controls ( ie. they do something’s the fraudster would do).

Uninstall or delete and reinstall. Dont buy the uninstall ‘app’ coz that’s also a scam.

to update the software on the Garmin you need Garmin express, that's all.

Trying to update my NAV VI.

I didn't register it with Garmin when I first got it in 2017, as I didn't know I needed to.

Tried to connect to Garmin Express today but it wouldn't run the file after download, saying install failed, so I contacted Garmin via their live chat where Sonia told me it's a network security issue. She then put me onto a technician via telephone who told me they can fix my firewall - note - my firewall, not anything to do with the Garmin update specifically, at between £200 and £500.

This is part of the conversation and I'd welcome any thoughts?

The NAV VI 2021 needs the latest version of Express to be recognised. Older versions don’t recognise the device.

I uploaded Express from the genuine Garmin site to a laptop and it's worked - quick and free :thumb

A useful reminder to always use official downloads and to be aware of scams. Thank you.

Stickied as it’s important.

Case closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom