Nav V playing up after latest update

Swissdoc

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone else having this problem? I updated the Nav V last week and having been faultless for the last seven years (even with regular updates) it has started playing up with freezing, not starting (needing a soft reset on a regular basis), randomly rebooting and generally having a hissy-fit.

I hope this is not Garmin deliberately building in software obsolescence to make me buy the latest unit, the way Apple does with its phones...

I'm away in France this week (yes!) Back at the weekend... Does anyone know if you can go back a software/maps iteration? Wapping, you are the man....??

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

My Nav V is, as far as I can tell, behaving normally, following the latest update.

I have never tried to update a device to an earlier version. My guess is that you’d need Garmin to send you the ‘old’ update and go from there.

I have only once had the symptoms you describe, which was on a Nav IV, when it was unfixable. The screen became completely unresponsive, the cursor bike position either freezing or showing me several miles from where I was. Garmin replaced the unit (which was well out of warranty) either for free or for a small fee.

None of this helps you very much, I’m afraid.

Try:

A. A hard reset but you may well lose all your data, favourites, routes etc unless you can find a way to back them up.

B. Do you have any third party maps loaded, for example Open Street Maps. If so, make sure you haven’t selected them AND the generic Garmin maps simultaneously. I did that once and anarchy reigned.

C. Are you running some complicated route, created from say MyRoute, which the device is struggling to process?

D. Clean all the electrical contacts.

I am clutching at straws here.

Richard

PS Buy a map, quick! :D :beerjug:

Thank you all for this...

I don't run any extra stuff on it and generally only plan trips on the unit, doing it day by day from a real MAP which I always keep as backup, both on paper and on via Michelin.

I'll see how it goes until I get back at the weekend. If necessary I will reload the new firmware again and then the old, if it plays up again.

Thanks again... really helpful

Chris

your unit imo is showing the first signs of classic garmins gonna die v soon,7 years ! you did well

absolutly,just bought the 2021 version nav 6 hoping at last er it will last! previous ones have been very unreliable

Actually, I think it's 8years...so pretty good. My son has chewed his way through two Nav VIs so I would rather stick with the V as it's been flawless.....to date....

If it does fail, the question is whether to replace it with a Garmin or go the phone or carpe iter route... Hmmm ..

Back
Top Bottom