Winter Storage.

L

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Yes, I know its summer, but I'm thinking ahead!! :)

I've just 'acquired' a shipping container to store some work stuff in, but there will be room for the bike, so I'm toying with putting the old girl in over winter.

Any tips/recommendations? The container has power, so is it worth getting a heater or dehumidifier? Cover suggestions ? Any other prep for the container?

Yes, I know its summer, but I'm thinking ahead!! :)

I've just 'acquired' a shipping container to store some work stuff in, but there will be room for the bike, so I'm toying with putting the old girl in over winter.

Any tips/recommendations? The container has power, so is it worth getting a heater or dehumidifier? Cover suggestions ? Any other prep for the container?

Uninsulated containers can generate a lakefull of condensation over time, so a heater/dehumidifier I would suggest, is a must.

Shipping containers..

Mobile torture chambers -

Feckin roasting in summer and freezing in winter

And unless they are insulated, take a lot to get them heated

A friend of mine keeps his Cayman in a big shipping container. He’s never had any problems at all.

A dehumidifier is an absolute must... I am sure there are many on here who have them and well worth it if you have to purchase.

If someone else is paying the leccy bill great,get it heated or a dehumidifier.
But as long as it’s not subject to huge temp fluctuations,condensation won’t be an issue if it’s got good ventilation.
Unless you are putting wet stuff into it.
If I glance over to my weather station,it’s showing 85% humidity outside,65% inside the house.
I doubt your bike would rust away in my hallway.
Even with a dehumidifier,removing the moisture,the container needs to be ventilated,
That being the case,you’ll just pull more air into it which is full of water.
The main thing with storage,whether it be a shed,garage etc is the temp fluctuations.
If it is hot,then cools quickly the moisture in the air( which you can’t eradicate )will condense on the cold parts.
If the container is full so less air you’ll get less temp fluctuations and less moisture problems

Back
Top Bottom