Grease for points

Hoff

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My Clymer and Haynes manuals state to use Bosch Ft 1v4 on the contact breaker cam lubricating felt. I can't see any supplier of it so can I ask what people use?
TIA
Paul

I would use Castrol LM grease. A tiny bit on your finger and hold it against the cam as you crank the starter.

On felt cam lubricating pads I’ve used a drop of gear oil. You really don’t want it wet enough to run somewhere that doesn’t need oil like your points faces.

The felt pads dry out and become solid with time. They can be removed or if you're fussy a new one can be fitted.

a drop of whatever oil was handy ;) , sewing machine oil used to be a good one to use

Long time since I set a set of points. Sold them by the 1,000 in 1990 to motor factors. Bosch were big sellers and Toyota. JJH

I know you are right Mike but I am taken with the old fashioned stuff on this bike, even I can understand some of it !!
Overhaul on the carbs next :confused:

Avoid spray greases which are powered by, er, flammable, solvents, they keep on giving off vapors for a fair time DAHIK!

Doing the points on an old hillman hunter I just couldn’t get them right no matter how I tried. Gap wouldn’t stay as I set it. I shouted over to the boss that there was something wrong with it. According to his reply I was a stupid half blind fucking ejit. So was he as the bushes were worn in the shaft. How it drove in is a mystery. Replacement distributor from the breakers and away she went. That was about 1980. JJH

Back
Top Bottom