Steering Lock Issues

gusrus

Reaction score
Hi All,

New to the forum and somewhat new to R1200RS Ownership. The last one I bought in April and owned it 4 weeks before I got QashQow'd and walked away with a fractured shoulder for my sins. Have replaced it with another one and I've got a couple of bits I want to sort out. I Apologise for the bad photography in advanced, I was doing it quickly.

The first and most worrying is the steering lock. My 2015 model uses a key ignition and at some point the steering lock has taken some abuse and no longer works. I want to replace just the steering lock and keep the radio transponder for the key and lock as well. I can get the steering lock form a breakers however the bolts looks as if they need special tooling to remove them. I would like to repair it to factory as much as possible so replacement bolts are also required. if anyone has a guide on how to do this across all the 2015 onwards R series bikes then please share.

6rTkrKJ.jpg

The next thing on my hit list is to deal with the surface rust on the frame and the rust on the exhaust. The frame I'm going to use WD40 and a light touch of very very very fine steel wool, wash it, then wax it. The exhaust I'm thinking using Dr Downpipe to get the worst then polish with Autosol to return back to a shine (I am also considering going down the stainless decat route however I don't want to get done by the TUV police if I tour Germany and also not sure if that and an aftermarket pipe are properly worth it, looking for experienced people to inform me who have done it)

NvNnjWs.jpg

YATczbV.jpg

The last things aren't things I want to do but I'm needing help in identifying what they are. There's a power socket of some description under the right side of the seat:-

sW2n6Xz.jpg

A Mini USB port attached to an accessory board

zgKS0mw.jpg

nNEK1jt.jpg

Lastly a female jack plug of some kind coming from the forward area for something (heated jacket maybe?)

92OBF3m.jpg

Thanks in advance for all your help

1) The socket is a standard HELLA/DIN power socket. A smaller version of a UK cigarette lighter socket.
2) The Mini-USB might be for a SATNAV. Where is the other end connected?
3) The Touratech unit is device for providing ignition-switched power without tapping directly into the BMW electrical system. It was probably feeding power to 4)
4) This looks like a power plug for heated clothing - I can't tell you what brand.

This looks like a set-up for an all-year round commuter or serious traveller, which might account for the less-than-pristine condition of the bike.

Back
Top Bottom