Lights. Riding in Europe

BigT

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a 2021 GSA. My GTL had an adjustment for the continent to refocus the headlight for driving on the right. Anybody know what the story is with the 21 GSA?

Thanks as alway,
'
Tony

Hi guys, I have a 2021 GSA. My GTL had an adjustment for the continent to refocus the headlight for driving on the right. Anybody know what the story is with the 21 GSA?

Thanks as alway,
'
Tony

Nothing to change all headlight UK EU are same rectangular angle on all 1200/1250 bikes

To expand on winjars interpretation,

Because you only have one light sitting centrally, you dont get issues with beam cast (lH/RH)

you get a very wide flat beam,

The only issue to be aware of is kick up,

If you go two up or load the bike to the gills, you may need to flick the toggle lever on the headlight to push the beam kick down

(dont forget to put it back when you return) other wise your field of illumination in winter will be very short ;)

To expand on Snatas interpretation:

You need do nothing to ride in Europe as all modern bikes have flat dipped beam lights.

The fact that any lights will shine upwards if you are loaded is nothing to do with Europe but riding everywhere. :D

Thanks everyone. Good news, another thumbs up for the GSA. My GTL had a left/right selection for UK/EU. Stay safe and well. Regards Tony

Dragging up and hijacking an old thread is this true of all 1200/1250 GS’s?
I’m after confirmation of what MY the headlamps are the same between UK and EU. Does anyone know with certainty?

I’m exporting the bike and can’t rely on “it will be OK” and “you’ll never be stopped”. I have to put the bike through a certificate of conformity so beam pattern will be checked.

I can get a 1200 (2014MY) on headlamp here in Europe for not too much and that age of bike will keep the import duty down too!

Cheers

Dragging up and hijacking an old thread is this true of all 1200/1250 GS’s?
I’m after confirmation of what MY the headlamps are the same between UK and EU. Does anyone know with certainty?

I’m exporting the bike and can’t rely on “it will be OK” and “you’ll never be stopped”. I have to put the bike through a certificate of conformity so beam pattern will be checked.

I can get a 1200 (2014MY) on headlamp here in Europe for not too much and that age of bike will keep the import duty down too!

Cheers

Only one light specced
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/se...1200+GS+(0A01,+0A11)&market=EUR&prod=20140900 (note the market designator - EU )

The only choice you get is LED or incandescent, and both of those cover anywhere in europe

I have to put the bike through a certificate of conformity so beam pattern will be checked.

Cheers

No you won't. You obtain the European CofC from BMW UK and you will register it with that supplied paper. There will be no physical check of the bike that way. If you go to another EU country and ask for the CofC in that country then be prepared to jump through all sorts of hoops and shell out loads of money.
I have done it a few times now.

No you won't. You obtain the European CofC from BMW UK and you will register it with that supplied paper. There will be no physical check of the bike that way. If you go to another EU country and ask for the CofC in that country then be prepared to jump through all sorts of hoops and shell out loads of money.
I have done it a few times now.

My poor wording, I need a Ficha técnica reducida (Spain). To obtain this a number of checks are carried out, one being headlamp being adjustable or adjusted. I know a few who have imported bikes and that’s the main issue when it comes to the FTR.

To expand on Snatas interpretation:

You need do nothing to ride in Europe as all modern bikes have flat dipped beam lights.

The fact that any lights will shine upwards if you are loaded is nothing to do with Europe but riding everywhere. :D

To expand on BobT’s interpretation, the adaptive headlight on the 1250 sorts out the levelling too, pack what you want :D

To expand on BobT’s interpretation, the adaptive headlight on the 1250 sorts out the levelling too, pack what you want :D

Yes, both mine and my GFs bike do that.

Back
Top Bottom