Klim Badlands VS Klim Kodiak

Udders

A Needy Twat
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ok, I can see the benefits that both suits have to offer but would appreciate some opinions of people who have had both. :bow
I’m wanting to get some heated clothing which is swaying me towards the Badlands because that suit doesn’t come with any type of under jacket. Would I need heated clothing if I got the Kodiak one though? :nenau I’m going to be going to Scandinavia a lot in the next few years and think I may need it. I don’t mind riding in the cold but don’t want to get even colder whilst I’m riding.
How do the two suits compare in warmer weather too? Which one has the better venting?
Also, which one is better for someone that is a bit on the porky side? :D.

Ta. :thumb2

Haven’t owned both - only Badlands - but having ridden across Tibet, I can tell you there is no amount of layering will beat heated gear. Even the guys in Rukka with down liners got cold. Those of us with heated vests stayed toasty warm.

Haven’t owned both - only Badlands - but having ridden across Tibet, I can tell you there is no amount of layering will beat heated gear. Even the guys in Rukka with down liners got cold. Those of us with heated vests stayed toasty warm.

Aah, ok. Thanks. I was kind of leaning that way. How is the Badlands in the heat?

Only own Badlands but I find it works well with either a down jacket or a heated vest or jacket inside it. Also seems waterproof and the water pack works well for me.

However I am a skinny bugger!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only own Badlands but I find it works well with either a down jacket or a heated vest or jacket inside it. Also seems waterproof and the water pack works well for me.

However I am a skinny bugger!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Water pack? :confused: Wossat then? :nenau

Ooh, just read the blurb again. :blast. Must pay closer attention in future! :D

Aah, ok. Thanks. I was kind of leaning that way. How is the Badlands in the heat?
In 30 DegC heat in Alaska and then inland California, mine was fine with all the vent zips open.

The Kodiak trousers come in European sizes so for those of us with the wrong waist to leg length proportions (ahem) they are the better bet.

I wore it almost every day for 3 months from London to Beijing, in everything from -3 in Tibet to +38 in industrial China. The venting works pretty well in the heat, as long as you’re moving but in truth it’s far from ideal and after three months it gets pretty smelly. I wouldn’t trust it to a hotel laundry so not really the ideal suit for such a long trip. Next time I’d wear something more breathable (and washable) like a Rallye suit and take a decent rain suit.

For shorter (2 or 3 weeks) trips in the cold/wet, I’d still recommend (and I use) the Badlands.

I’d still opt for a heated vest/jacket though rather than just a down inner. In Tibet I wore my down inner jacket (and down leggings) PLUS my heated vest. Heated jacked definitely more effective than heated vest but vest much easier to pack for a long trip when much of the time you won’t be needing it.

I recently changed from an old Badlands Pro to a Kodiak and they are in different use segments imo. The Kodiak is cut like a leather sports jacket, very tapered from shoulder to the the waist whereas my (old) Badlands was a very square cute and as wide around the waist as it was across the chest, later (current) Badlands may be a bit more tailored? for a cold weather tour I'd think the badlands would suit layering up easier than the Kodiak , or you might have to step up a size to do the same in a Kodiak if you wanted that sportier style jacket? I can wear the Kodiak on my Crotch rocket 916 and it still looks ok and not like I've got on the wrong bike (well in my mind anyways?!).

Ok. Thanks. Interesting about the cut of the jackets.:thumb2

Ok. Thanks. Interesting about the cut of the jackets.:thumb2

to be fair if you read klims ad blurb they actualy say so, the kodiak is designed as a road based touring jacket, badlands is cut more generous to give room to move about when riding the bike off road? not sure I believe all of it but that what it says.

For the avoidance of doubt the Kodiak has a 2021 version that is in short supply. Several retailers state supply from July.

The original kodiak is now being discounted with the European discount bike gear firms.

I got an email from moto legends last night confirming what I’d heard elsewhere that they are cancelling their back orders with Klim and not sure when they can deliver Klim gear.

I guess the delivery date for end July shown with a number of suppliers is unlikely.

I nearly went down to the Adventure Bike place in Acton yesterday to get sized up for a suit but decided that 1, it was too blooming warm to go trying on big heavy bike gear, and 2, with the good weather everyone would be out on their bikes and quickly filling up the shop. Me going down there and spending an hour or two taking up valuable staff time wasn’t the best idea either. I’ll go down there mid week sometime soon and get sorted. :thumb2 I can then try on the various suit options at a more leisurely pace. :thumb2
I guess I’ll find out then if there’s a bit of a wait for suits. :blast

I nearly went down to the Adventure Bike place in Acton yesterday to get sized up for a suit but decided that 1, it was too blooming warm to go trying on big heavy bike gear, and 2, with the good weather everyone would be out on their bikes and quickly filling up the shop. Me going down there and spending an hour or two taking up valuable staff time wasn’t the best idea either. I’ll go down there mid week sometime soon and get sorted. :thumb2 I can then try on the various suit options at a more leisurely pace. :thumb2
I guess I’ll find out then if there’s a bit of a wait for suits. :blast

What’s the name of a shop in Acton ?

Udders I have been using my badlands for a number of years now. Superb quality water proof wise and dries pretty quickly. Quite heavy and can be very warm even with vents open in high temps. But all round tough quality kit. Trousers are a roomy fit which is good but because of this I felt that the armour was to easy to move around in a fall/slide so I instead wear force field armoured leggings under the klim trousers which also means they can be washed each day after a hot days riding. Bit of a stray away from the 2 klim kits that you are considering but I would also look at the BMW Rally jackets as I had an older version years ago and the ventilation was excellent on hot days. When it is time for me to consider new kit again I will definitely check our BMW latest kit too.

Udders I have been using my badlands for a number of years now. Superb quality water proof wise and dries pretty quickly. Quite heavy and can be very warm even with vents open in high temps. But all round tough quality kit. Trousers are a roomy fit which is good but because of this I felt that the armour was to easy to move around in a fall/slide so I instead wear force field armoured leggings under the klim trousers which also means they can be washed each day after a hot days riding. Bit of a stray away from the 2 klim kits that you are considering but I would also look at the BMW Rally jackets as I had an older version years ago and the ventilation was excellent on hot days. When it is time for me to consider new kit again I will definitely check our BMW latest kit too.

Hi, I did look at the Rallye kit but I definitely want a suit that has a waterproof outer layer and not a liner type one. I should look at the RST stuff I guess.

Back
Top Bottom