RT LC suitability for tall people

Wrigsby1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have had a Hexhead RT which was fine for me at 6'5" with tall screen and after several changes since the RT am on an old but goldish 1150RT with things to make it more roomy like barbacks and lower pegs. I have had a quick sit in a dealer of 1200/1250RT and found it felt fine from the waist up but cramped for long legs. It was probably on a lower seat setting but seemed like it would need more room again... Does this pan out for long term owners who are taller or have you found it fine.

Also, obviously its a whole different game from all the Oilhead/Hex/TC bikes but is it significantly less vibey and less clunky in the gearbox or is that something that BM are still solving. I'm a long-term boxer owner and its hard to get the full info from forums without it descending into a rider modes/bluetooth connectivity argument rather than how it actually goes, stops and handles.

Making the RT fit

I had a 2018 RT LE which I owned for 2 years. I recently part ex'd it along with an rninet scrambler as I couldn't store two bikes properly. Now have a GSA as a compromise between the two.

At 6Ft 3 I needed to make the ergonomics better for my long legs on both bikes.

Installed Wunderlich risers, lower pegs, high heated gel seat and Marathon screen. Makes a world of difference and worth the investment. You get what you pay for and Wunderlich is not only good quality but doesn't stand out as a modification.

On the scrambler, I similarly raised the bars, lowered the pegs and had a high seat.

With the new GSA I will need to lower the pegs and get a touring screen.

Attachments

• RTandScrambler.jpg
    RTandScrambler.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 327
Good advice...👍 I still like GS/GSA but the RTs are a bit more under the radar and just usually do the job as well for road riders... I doubt many GS/As go anywhere else either... Thanks...👍

I’m sure I’ve got Alzheimer’s or similar, as my memory is dreadful these days.
Did I read on here that the latest RT is very cramped for anybody over about 5’10”, or was it the latest Goldwing ?

Seems to be that the seat to pegs is tighter And you see that in the press and review pics... Weird as Germans are often tall but I used to struggle with K RT/LTs and my st11 was as bit on the limits for leg space but that was supposed to have been influenced by Honda Germany...

Did I read on here that the latest RT is very cramped for anybody over about 5’10”, or was it the latest Goldwing ?

It’s the RT, I’m 5’10 and find the foot pegs too high, much more cramped than a GS

The Goldwing is fine ergonomically for me

I’ve looked at buying both in the last month or so but for the moment I’m sticking with the GS, just my personal thoughts ……..

RT:
https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...off-on-an-RT?p=6039058&viewfull=1#post6039058

Goldwing:
https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/559955-Goldwing……-nearly?highlight=Goldwing

Good feedback thanks .. just weird that BM seem to have made it this way ... The RT looks like the Uber tourer but it's not great is you're relaxed in one half of your body and your legs are squashed up... Funnily enough I was speaking with a local chap yesterday and am off for a look at his LC GS later...😁👍

I am about 5'8 so should be fine for me. Felt ok when i sat on one.
Yet to get mine so i will report back.

I am about 5'8 so should be fine for me. Felt ok when i sat on one.
Yet to get mine so i will report back.
5'8"...😁 I have another 9" of height to fit in...😁 That's why I ended up on GSs in the 1990s...👍 Had a quick go on an LC last Eve... Not for me .. early one and set in dynamic and all that... Great bike but more like a sports bike than a GS and I can now see why people end up on TCs again... As far removed from a floaty old 1150GS ADV as you could be and really BM were after opening the bikes up to mainstream customers as much as they could...
As I said to a chap up here with an S1000.... "So what you have is a 190hp sheet of A4 paper..."😁
Also confirmed the last thing I was bothered about was modes n the like...🙄

A timely thread. I've just dropped my LC GSA off at the dealer this morning and have a 1250 RT for the day. Specifically asked for it as I was keen to try an RT and the new engine as a possible next bike. I'm 6' with fairly long legs and can ride the GSA all day in total comfort.
Have to say it won't be my next choice of bike. Legs felt like I was back on my old Ninja, tucked up under my armpits. Not very comfortable at all. My first thought was "I couldn't tour very far on this thing". Don't get me wrong, the engine is a belter and it's all very well put together. With the knee problems I have as well I just can't see me investing in one of these next time.

Back to the GSA I think. Or something like that.

A timely thread. I've just dropped my LC GSA off at the dealer this morning and have a 1250 RT for the day. Specifically asked for it as I was keen to try an RT and the new engine as a possible next bike. I'm 6' with fairly long legs and can ride the GSA all day in total comfort.
Have to say it won't be my next choice of bike. Legs felt like I was back on my old Ninja, tucked up under my armpits. Not very comfortable at all. My first thought was "I couldn't tour very far on this thing". Don't get me wrong, the engine is a belter and it's all very well put together. With the knee problems I have as well I just can't see me investing in one of these next time.

Back to the GSA I think. Or something like that.

I can understand why someone would think the legroom limited on the '21 RT. That said, I'm 62yrs, 6ft, long legs, seat on low [to hide behind the screen], with knees and hips that would never be described as flexible and I have no issues.

First couple of journeys my legs were a little stiff to put down after a decent ride but now I have zero issues.

I believe BMW can supply seats that will add 30mm to the riders seat and I'd guess lowering the footpegs an option.

It'd be a shame if this was putting buyers off. A near perfect motorcycle.

Oddly enough for me it wasn’t the legroom thing (though that was a factor) but the absence of motorbike feeling. The RT I had, protected me so well from the elements that I found it a bit dull.

So I went back to a 1290 SA-T

Oddly enough for me it wasn’t the legroom thing (though that was a factor) but the absence of motorbike feeling. The RT I had, protected me so well from the elements that I found it a bit dull.

So I went back to a 1290 SA-T
That's the trouble... They get so good they become Goldwings....🤣
Good info and glad it wasn't just me from my fleeting try that found it a tale of two bikes for comfort...

I've done just 3 rides but of 200+ miles prior to getting my new GSA serviced, including the 80 mile hack up to Manchester from Ironbridge.

Great fun, but the last 75 miles of each run I've found myself cursing the stock screen on the GSA compared to how I had the RT set up.

Looks like NN's going to get some more of my hard earned pension in the form of a taller screen and perish the thought....lower pegs lol!

I’m 6’5” and had two LC RT’s, taller screen, lower foot pegs and higher seat, but compared to the GSA with a PUIG screen and deflector and Wunderlich bar risers it was very cramped in the leg dept. Sadly, can’t see me getting another RT

Funnily enough had an S1000XR as a loaner and am seriously thinking of getting one, as I felt much more at home.

I’m 6’5” and had two LC RT’s, taller screen, lower foot pegs and higher seat, but compared to the GSA with a PUIG screen and deflector and Wunderlich bar risers it was very cramped in the leg dept. Sadly, can’t see me getting another RT

Funnily enough had an S1000XR as a loaner and am seriously thinking of getting one, as I felt much more at home.

Had come to the same conclusion... Can't quite work out why BM did this as the earlier RTs of several generations were fine... It has put me off as there's no point in cashing in for one and being disappointed...

Back
Top Bottom