Potato, Potato………

Enjoyed that last night as an alternative to watching penalties.

Learnt something about the ignition system and why that leads to the familiar noise.

Not quite so sure about the near-certain-death experience of riding a twin shock bike with a rubber mounted engine (as per the current touring line) but need in investigate further.

Definitely familiar with the smoothing out when you get going - something BMW got abysmally wrong IMO on the R1200C when they tried to mimic the Harley experience.

Overall a simple video from Ryan, but excellent as always

Fort nine videos belie the production and care that go into making them, cue the cut to the breaking wine glass. From one of the first I watched ( chain lube),to last nights post ignition gem, I always learn something. Certainly one of the more intelligent and watchable YT presenters.

Enjoyed that last night as an alternative to watching penalties.

Learnt something about the ignition system and why that leads to the familiar noise.

Not quite so sure about the near-certain-death experience of riding a twin shock bike with a rubber mounted engine (as per the current touring line) but need in investigate further.

Definitely familiar with the smoothing out when you get going - something BMW got abysmally wrong IMO on the R1200C when they tried to mimic the Harley experience.

Overall a simple video from Ryan, but excellent as always

What on Earth is a “Near certain death” experience of which you speak?

What on Earth is a “Near certain death” experience of which you speak?

There is mention on the video of the "Dyna Death Wobble" and footage of a chap managing to fall off in a straight line. In the video it's explained to be due to the combination of imbalance between the rear shocks and the flexibility of the oversize frame necessary to accommodate the engine movement.

I was unfamiliar with the death wobble - though a quick google suggests that it's a well documented phenomenon - but am not convinced by the description of the cause, especially as it's not entirely unknown for manufacturers to split the damping actions between the suspension units (so the damping is only on one strut or fork leg rather than both) without dire consequences

What a load of old tosh… Iff you’ve got a failed front mount ( not un-common, because numpties spill oil all over it when changing the filter) you will certainly notice the degradation of handling……. Not a difficult or expensive fix, if you (or previous owner) has fucked up the mounting.

Back in the Evo days we used to call it The Harley Shuffle. At higher speeds (say, >50-mph), if you hit a bump mid-corner on a sweeper it would set up an oscillation where the tail would start waggling like a happy golden retriever. There was even an after-market device you could buy for the baggers to stabilize it.

I put a fork brace on my mid-glide frontend Dyna and that largely alleviated this “feature.” On later models Harley beefed up fork tube diameters, swingarm size and rear axle diameter, which all made a huge difference on this point, and stabilized the whole platform. AFAIK the Harley Shuffle is a thing of the past.

Back in the Evo days we used to call it The Harley Shuffle. At higher speeds (say, >50-mph), if you hit a bump mid-corner on a sweeper it would set up an oscillation where the tail would start waggling like a happy golden retriever. There was even an after-market device you could buy for the baggers to stabilize it.

I put a fork brace on my mid-glide frontend Dyna and that largely alleviated this “feature.” On later models Harley beefed up fork tube diameters, swingarm size and rear axle diameter, which all made a huge difference on this point, and stabilized the whole platform. AFAIK the Harley Shuffle is a thing of the past.

Ah…the “Touring link”….. I fitted one to my 2000 RK……. As you had to use a lot of road in a “fast sweeping bend”……. Post 2009…..a world of difference….

Back
Top Bottom