Splitting gearbox from engine - it's stuck! Any advice?

Motormed

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've got my 1150GSA stripped to change the clutch (due to oil contamination).

I'm now ready to split the gearbox from the engine and it's started to come apart, but is stuck in one area :blast.

The problem is at the lower right hand side, seemingly caused by corrosion at the locating dowel
(confirmed when removing the gearbox to engine bolts, the only bolt with any rust on it was at that location).
I've soaked it with penetrating oil and tried a few wacks with a wooden block and hammer but it's not budged at all.

Just for info, rear wheel and swingarm still attached with trolley jack under gearbox.
Any advice please? :nenau

I've got my 1150GSA stripped to change the clutch (due to oil contamination).

I'm now ready to split the gearbox from the engine and it's started to come apart, but is stuck in one area :blast.

The problem is at the lower right hand side, seemingly caused by corrosion at the locating dowel
(confirmed when removing the gearbox to engine bolts, the only bolt with any rust on it was at that location).
I've soaked it with penetrating oil and tried a few wacks with a wooden block and hammer but it's not budged at all.

Just for info, rear wheel and swingarm still attached with trolley jack under gearbox.
Any advice please? :nenau

Try some localised heat, like a paint stripper gun and the biggest rubber mallet you can find.

Thanks hops, I'll dig the heat gun out tomorrow. The big rubber mallet's already out! :beerjug:

Pry bar in the clutch housing where the starter motor located..... also try removing the trolley jack from under the gearbox, lift/force up the final drive as far as you can and ‘bang it up hard’ a couple of time, and let it drop down, usually does the trick. .

Thanks for the tips, Steptoe. :beerjug:
I've booked a half day from work so hopefully will have something positive to report tonight.

If you haven't already Tie the centre stand forward to the front wheel

And unless you have someone there to help maybe scree a couple of the longer bolts into the top couple of holes, basically if it does let go quickly you don't drop the gearbox onto the ground and crack the casing or bend your clutch pushrod, which will likely be stuck anyway and you will need to wheel the gearbox back off it

You can try just moving the rear wheel from side to side If you can slide it on the garage floor a couple of thumps to the left usually cracks it loose

Wise words, Dr Farkoff, thank you :beerjug:.

In the interests of health & safety, the centrestand is already ratchet-strapped to the front wheel and two headless m8x150 bolts inserted in the middle holes of gearbox mounting.
I've tried moving the wheel side to side with no joy but the bike was moving a bit so I might call for some help to hold the bike for me later!

Hops, Steptoe and DrFarkoff - I owe you all a pint!
:bow:bow:bow

After using a combination of all your suggestions, the bastard slowly came apart.
No damage or injuries, just a bit of sweating and swearing!!
Also a firm believer in walking away and leaving it for a while if something isn't working.

Just need to inspect everything now and make a shopping list for Motorworks.

Thanks again for your input fellas :thumb

Attachments

• Splitting cases 1.jpg
    Splitting cases 1.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 247
  • Rusty gearbox locating dowel.jpg
    Rusty gearbox locating dowel.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 224
  • Split front.jpg
    Split front.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 217
  • Split rear.jpg
    Split rear.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 253
You might want to consider adding some of this to your shopping list.

I use it to coat all the threads on my fasteners, except those requiring loctite or where it is expressly forbidden (ie wheel bolts). It help prevents future corrosion. Much better than copperslip.

Attachments

• 7282AFC4-05CB-4174-A677-D1FC4A8DE112.jpg
    7282AFC4-05CB-4174-A677-D1FC4A8DE112.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 214
Hops, Steptoe and DrFarkoff - I owe you all a pint!
:bow:bow:bow

After using a combination of all your suggestions, the bastard slowly came apart.
No damage or injuries, just a bit of sweating and swearing!!
Also a firm believer in walking away and leaving it for a while if something isn't working.

Just need to inspect everything now and make a shopping list for Motorworks.

Thanks again for your input fellas :thumb

Good result,group hug needed :Duchess :D

Yep, big group hug, I like it!
Thanks for the Moly suggestion, Ian.
And yes, Neil, it's a bristle from my cleaning brush :clap

Yep, big group hug, I like it!
Thanks for the Moly suggestion, Ian.
And yes, Neil, it's a bristle from my cleaning brush :clap
It would have been good to see your initial reaction about the hairline crack

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom