Mull/D&G quandary.

Deleted account 220319001

Reaction score
I fancy a trip to Mull and D&G but looking at the maps it seems like a ballache to get to either from either, am I missing something or not ?

No, I don't think you're missing anything. I grew up in D&G and had inlaws who lived on Mull for many years.

It's a trip, travel....I don't get your quandary...use Arran, as you've described and take the B842 down to Campbeltown and the glorious west coast road coming North.

The isles is certainly more appealing, Jura and Islay have been on my to do list for a while, Mull I've done but is so good I wish to return, possibly next week, may do D&G this week. :thumb

I did Mull When i went to Strontian last year,

The ferries are somewhat interesting time wise

The one that runs from Lochaline to Fishnish starts at 10 am no probs there

The one from Tobermory to Kilchoan is a funny one,

last boat back on a Saturday or was it Sunday 4pm and its first come first on basis

If its full , its a trek back to cragnuire to get the later boat, i think 8pm is the last boat,

Miss that and its camping with the locals ;)

I did the shorter loop round the island, with a stop at Duart castle , to look for the Nantesville in Loch Huron

From there i went clockwise round the island, opting for the right turn at the junction and heading to Salen, and then on to Tobermory

I got to Tobermory at about 2pm, so had time for a spot of lunch, and icecream and a chat to the locals

I avoided the cemetery on the hill, you get duffed up if you go there ;)

Kilchoan back to Strontian is a nice if not long run

Would i go again ... yes i'd do the longer loop next time

I did Mull When i went to Strontian last year,

The ferries are somewhat interesting time wise

The one that runs from Lochaline to Fishnish starts at 10 am no probs there

The one from Tobermory to Kilchoan is a funny one,

last boat back on a Saturday or was it Sunday 4pm and its first come first on basis

If its full , its a trek back to cragnuire to get the later boat, i think 8pm is the last boat,

Miss that and its camping with the locals ;)

I did the shorter loop round the island, with a stop at Duart castle , to look for the Nantesville in Loch Huron

From there i went clockwise round the island, opting for the right turn at the junction and heading to Salen, and then on to Tobermory

I got to Tobermory at about 2pm, so had time for a spot of lunch, and icecream and a chat to the locals

I avoided the cemetery on the hill, you get duffed up if you go there ;)

Kilchoan back to Strontian is a nice if not long run

Would i go again ... yes i'd do the longer loop next time

I don't understand. What does that mean please?

I'm not intending on going out to Phionaphort/Fidden farm, as lovely as the beech is out that way, the road out and back seems to take forever.

Fancy a wee wild camp on the b8035 just south of Knock, beautiful spot. Also a trip down to Lochuie is on the cards as haven't managed to do that in my two previous trips. Maybe Tobermory for breakfast then head to Graignure for the ferry back to Oban. If I miss out Tobermory and get the 8am ferry from Graignure to Oban I can catch a ferry to Islay at 10am.

Initial plan is the Corran ferry towards Strontian then on to Lochaline for the short crossing to Fishnish.

I fancy a trip to Mull and D&G but looking at the maps it seems like a ballache to get to either from either, am I missing something or not ?

We just did that. 1 day castle Douglas to Oban, back roads, raiders road, 9.55 ferry next day. Stayed at the falls of Lora hotel.

Very nice, apart from a bit of motorway to get to and over the Erskine bridge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The isles is certainly more appealing, Jura and Islay have been on my to do list for a while, Mull I've done but is so good I wish to return, possibly next week, may do D&G this week. :thumb

I'd suggest one or the other. Calmac Hopscotch 5 is on my list with a birl around Kintyre and jaunt over to Gigha. However, I'll be doing it in September, I reckon when things calm down a bit staycation wise.

I don't understand. What does that mean please?

LOl, you saw that reference, but missed the other ;)

"a stop at Duart castle , to look for the Nantesville in Loch Huron"

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2kgs3530alI" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LOl, you saw that reference, but missed the other ;)

"a stop at Duart castle , to look for the Nantesville in Loch Huron"

There's more. The castle was used as a location in the 1945 film I Know Where I'm Going! (as "Castle of Sorne").

It was also featured in the 1971 film When Eight Bells Toll, starring Anthony Hopkins and in the 1999 film Entrapment, starring Sean Connery (who has MacLean ancestry on his mother's side) and Catherine Zeta-Jones.

It is also the setting for the base of Buffy Summers in the first half of Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Eight

The byre at the House at Grasspoint which was rebuilt from a ruin, post WWII by Sir Lionel Leslie, Winston Churchill's late cousin, was used as the fisherman's cottage in When Eight Bells Toll,

https://www.isleofmullselfcatering.co.uk/index.php/2017/01/31/movies-made-on-mull/

There's more. The castle was used as a location in the 1945 film I Know Where I'm Going! (as "Castle of Sorne").

It was also featured in the 1971 film When Eight Bells Toll, starring Anthony Hopkins and in the 1999 film Entrapment, starring Sean Connery (who has MacLean ancestry on his mother's side) and Catherine Zeta-Jones.

It is also the setting for the base of Buffy Summers in the first half of Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Eight

The byre at the House at Grasspoint which was rebuilt from a ruin, post WWII by Sir Lionel Leslie, Winston Churchill's late cousin, was used as the fisherman's cottage in When Eight Bells Toll,

https://www.isleofmullselfcatering.co.uk/index.php/2017/01/31/movies-made-on-mull/

The two references i posted were related to When 8 bells toll, The first film i ever saw at the pictures - stuck with me ever since

You're missing everything FFS :blast

You're from Scotland and you're worrying about tripping off to Mull or D&G :blast

Try going across Asia, Russia

OK ... your winding us up Crabby :D

Back
Top Bottom