Any Velocette experts here?

Bryn

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Bit of an odd one… my Brother has owned his 1959 Venom for a good 50 years.. and he’s quite adept at fixing it, and he’s obviously intimately familiar with how it runs and sounds…..he’s also skilled enough to pull it to pieces, and re build it.

Recently it’s been sounding different, with what he describes as a tappety tinny knock…as if you were Tapping a tin cup on the floor …It’s noticeable on tick over ….. and the noise builds as the revs increase ….the last time he took it out he decided to call it a day and come back after only a couple of miles as he didn’t like the sound of it.

The only thing he has noticed is a little side play on the big end, and end play on the rockers… this has flummoxed him and any ideas would be appreciated:thumb

As he put it it is only a single so it shouldn’t be that difficult:)

Hard to tell without hearing it.
Any chance of getting a recording?

Is it definitely coming from within the engine?
A screwdriver and a mark 1 lughole will tell him whereabouts its coming from.
Before he starts down the engine stripdown route - has he given the bike a good going over for loose/missing bolts (DAMHIK)

He’s already in there…… so far not much help ….which is surprising …posted on here on the off chance anyone had suggestions :thumb2

Surprised at that too. I wonder if one make clubs are losing the expertise they once had, as the years pass? Sounds like a pull down may be needed anyway?

He’s had it to pieces twice recently ..ground the valves in, put two different rocker covers on…as that seems to be the area it’s coming from….( not sure how it can be the rocker cover but he knows more about it than I do)

So it’s a bit of a mystery…he’s asked someone in the owners club who’s a bit of an expert….and he has no idea :nenau

Thanks for the suggestions chaps.. I’ll pass them all on,.. he’s done a phone recoding but it’s not very good apparently :thumb

Little ends tend to be heard on the over run.

Big end knock on a roller big end will be quite evident and not a light tinny noise.

Is it at engine speed or half engine speed? This will indicate whether or not it's valve gear as that operates at half engine speed therefore sounds slower.

Has he ruled out a problem in the magneto or dynamo?

Being of a light nature i'm guided to the valve gear tbh. Valve gear noises tend to manifest themselves on a light load, perhaps just as you roll the throttle off a bit and unload the engine.
I'm sure your brother will have checked the valve guides and cam followers.

The crank/flywheel ass. main bearings are (iirc) taper roller and need shimming but i doubt the fault lies there.

Bloody hell that's got the brain working, imagining the inside of a Velocette engine, something i have seen a few times but, a long time ago :D

Little ends tend to be heard on the over run.

Big end knock on a roller big end will be quite evident and not a light tinny noise.

Is it at engine speed or half engine speed? This will indicate whether or not it's valve gear as that operates at half engine speed therefore sounds slower.

Has he ruled out a problem in the magneto or dynamo?

Being of a light nature i'm guided to the valve gear tbh. Valve gear noises tend to manifest themselves on a light load, perhaps just as you roll the throttle off a bit and unload the engine.
I'm sure your brother will have checked the valve guides and cam followers.

The crank/flywheel ass. main bearings are (iirc) taper roller and need shimming but i doubt the fault lies there.

Bloody hell that's got the brain working, imagining the inside of a Velocette engine, something i have seen a few times but, a long time ago :D

All passed on with thanks :thumb

I got all excited when I saw this thread - I thought you must be buying an LE Noddy bike!

:D

Back
Top Bottom