Users of My Route, Kurviger and other non-Garmin Route creation software…..

Wapping

Reaction score
We see lots of posts shouting frustration with Garmin GPS devices, running routes created in My Route and other non-Garmin software. Most often the cause is nothing more than incomplete data being transferred between My Route and the Garmin device, compounded by user error.

Whilst a route might well look perfect in My Route, sending it directly from My Route to a Garmin device - with no check in between - can create problems. These problems only manifest themselves on the road, when correcting them is difficult.

Good advice would be:

A. Do not send a route directly from My Route into your Garmin device.

B. Send the route to BaseCamp first. Then check it properly, correcting any errors. Then send the route from BaseCamp to your Garmin device.

C. When the route is installed into your Garmin device, summon it up and check it again. Does the mileage match? Does the estimated journey time match? Does it look right? Is it straight lines? If it does not, it is better to realise now, rather than in a week’s time when you are standing frustrated at the roadside.

D. Learn how your very clever (but sometimes very dumb) Garmin device works. In short, crap in, results in crap out.

Doing this will save you the frustrations suffered by users, as tipified in this thread and others like it:

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...-a-Nav-VI-running-a-route-created-in-My-Route

Richard

PS Advice C is good advice, no matter how or where a route was created. It doesn’t take long. Do it.

Advice A is rubbish. The whole point of using something like MRA is to keep clear of Basecamp. The big advantage is being able to export direct to the Nav. How about just learning to use the app correctly. In over 5 years I’ve never had an issue that I can’t solve with MRA and I’m not Einstein.

Hands on, real life experience is much valued on this website. You’ll no doubt be able to take over assisting bods, helping them when they have problems :D

:beerjug:

PS Warning, you may well find yourself busy. Some can’t be arsed to learn BaseCamp (maybe because they have been told it’s too hard), can’t be arsed to learn My Route (maybe because they have been told it’s too easy) and can’t be arsed to learn how their Garmin device works (just because they can’t be arsed)…. It’s the plug-and-play generation.

Personally I never had a problem with with Mapsource, great intuitive software. I didn't have to learn it I just used it.

When I was forced to use Basecamp I just couldn't get on with it. Seems to me Basecamp fell into the classic trap of "If it ain't broke don't fix it".

Not sure whether using a Mac helped or hindered.

tom

MRA has very good technical support, loads of help on the community etc. But I do pay for it, so would expect help if there was an issue. But I am always happy to help folks, but as I said, I'm not a power user, I just plot a route, export it to my device and sometimes email to others and the routes work as expected. Was away this weekend in Wales and did a circular route for myself and my mate, both Garmin Nav, but no issues and the route was followed as plotted.

i must admit to exporting to my nav 6lm from my route and providing you have created the route in my route garmin maps there are no probs,the problems in my route occur when you create a route using the very usefull tom tom windy route in the tom tom map convert it on my route to garmin here maps and it WILL differ in places.go through the route in here altering the anomallies and then export to your garmin device and all will be well.
if for some reason you get the straight lines on the device edit it to curvy routes and all will be well.all in my experience obviously

horses for courses, tried my route app, and detested it thought it was complete garbage

What will be good is being able to utilise the route you have planned by using Apple CarPlay! I do prefer to use Basecamp to plan routes, so it will be a pleasure to export them to MyRoute and then use them on CarPlay if I am not on my bike.

I've been using MyRoute quite a bit recently and exporting directly to my Garmin XT (via Garmin Drive on the phone). It works great.

I use the GPX 1.1 Beta option which differentiates between Via and Shaping points and this works really well.

One of the great things about using MyRoute is it is super simple to switch from the Garmin "HERE" map, to Google satellite view at high resolution. Very helpful for precise placement of points on a route.

Having anything you do to routes on one device sync automatically to all other devices is excellent. So on the road, you have instant access to all routes in your library and it's really simple to just fire one over to the Garmin device wirelessly.

I've been using MyRoute quite a bit recently and exporting directly to my Garmin XT (via Garmin Drive on the phone). It works great.

I use the GPX 1.1 Beta option which differentiates between Via and Shaping points and this works really well.

One of the great things about using MyRoute is it is super simple to switch from the Garmin "HERE" map, to Google satellite view at high resolution. Very helpful for precise placement of points on a route.

Having anything you do to routes on one device sync automatically to all other devices is excellent. So on the road, you have instant access to all routes in your library and it's really simple to just fire one over to the Garmin device wirelessly.

Like I've said before, I've never had issues, but the Nav doesn't seem to like 1.1, so I used 1.0 and change points in the Nav. But there will always be someone who thinks its shite, just like I think Basecamp is crap, good job there are choices :)

Back
Top Bottom