High drama at the Cat & Fiddle (ANPR parking charge - Heads up)

brut33

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As I approached the Cat & Fiddle today from the Buxton end I noticed a distinct lack
of motorcycles on the car park. There were two only.
Parked up, disembarked, walked into entrance of the C&F. I imediatly noticed it had a different
feel and was more like a shop selling artisan grog etc.
Only me in the shop, asked for an Americano. Bloke behind counter asked me to put mask on.
Sorry, I haven't got one with me.
Well in that case you'll have to leave (spoke in a condescending manner).
It changes on Monday I appealed.
You'll still have to leave.
Walked out like a chastised schoolboy and passed biker and wife entering.
Said I hope you've got a mask or he won't serve you.

5 minutes later on carpark biker and wife walk out saying he sent me off for not wearing
a mask and I told him I've got a medical condition. He asked could I see my exemption card.
I told him it's not law and I don't need to show it.

A few minutes later a young girl (member of staff) walked across car park and apologised
on behalf of manager saying that he was wrong.

Short conversation ensued re mask wearing. My view was I wear one in crowded supermarkets
and such but didn't think it much of an issue up here in a deserted shop. Hey ho.

I then went to climb onto my mighty steed to leave when I noticed this sign.....
Then noticed ANPR cameras pointing at entrance.

Attachments

• IMG_20210716_142403432_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210716_142403432_HDR.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 957
Whoah.....

Went back to shop realising I'd bee been banned, so shouted from the doorway, "I need to register my registration number"
Young girl comes to door a takes said number and enters it in computer.
About to leave car park when four bikes enter car park.
Went over and made them aware of said sign and that they could get fined if they didn't register in the shop.
Lots of grumbling and shouts of "its a fcukin rip off is that mate, wor if we don't want to go in the shop".
By this time manager on car park with biker mates.
Much gesticulating and pointing at the sign. "This has been a biker stop since 1930. You just don't want bikers stopping here do you".
I clunked into first, fcuked off and left them to it.

Now watching the news re any fall out from said incident on the moors.:D

High drama at the Cat & Fiddle (ANPR parking charge - Heads up)

Shit road anyway! Applies to cars as well.

Perhaps I'm in the minority here.

I have no problem with entering my index if I'm going to the premises and using their services.

Several pubs round my way do it.

If there's any moaning to be done, surely its with the people that think its okay to use the relevant customer car park rather than a pay & display.

It's probably there to stop walkers parking up for the day and not using the pub.

Still, it doesn't really fit in with where and what it is.

It's probably there to stop walkers parking up for the day and not using the pub.

Still, it doesn't really fit in with where and what it is.

^^^^ This ^^^^

The road used to be my go to for getting a bike set up properly…… it’s still a beautiful location but since they put the average speed cameras in, forget it (mind you, there are still some nice trails around there :thumb2 )

Andres

The point I'd like to clarify is...

This sign and it's instructions are a new addition to the C&F and are easily missed. I almost missed it so just giving the heads up to those to who frequent the C&F.
You may be unaware you've been logged on an ANPR when entering the carpark, resulting in a fine in the post if don't register your number plate in the shop.

And as Andres says, the average speed cameras have spoiled the road for many but I still love a jaunt up there at a stately pace.:)

^^^^ This ^^^^

The road used to be my go to for getting a bike set up properly…… it’s still a beautiful location but since they put the average speed cameras in, forget it (mind you, there are still some nice trails around there :thumb2 )

Andres

Thirty years ago I managed to spectacularly high side my 3 day old Ducati just after leaving that pub! :D

The point I'd like to clarify is...

This sign and it's instructions are a new addition to the C&F and are easily missed. I almost missed it so just giving the heads up to those to who frequent the C&F.
You may be unaware you've been logged on an ANPR when entering the carpark, resulting in a fine in the post if don't register your number plate in the shop.

And as Andres says, the averay speed cameras have spoiled the road for many.

As has been said many times, as this is a private car park, they cannot issue a "fine", it is an invoice inviting you to pay. If you don't. they have to take civil action against you. Only the police and council can issue parking fines.

This;; i fell for it a few weeks ago; it was the first time i had stopped there in years; i think the camera only catches you on the way out as it's at the far end of the car park; i was all most tempted to wheel the bike backwards to the entrance whilst laughing at the camera; :D but i thought fuck it and just put my reg in; i will be giving it a miss from now.
Anyone locking for somewhere a lot friendlier with better grub get onto the Leek Buxton rd and check out the Flash cafe on the corner next to the big pub; it's owned by the coue that used to have the Yondermans; and a more pleasant pair you could'nt meet.:beerjug:

It’s to stop walkers using their carpark
They are not charging (customers) for parking just asking you to register that you have been a customer
They are doing it to keep the carpark clear for customers - That could have been you
If you’d had a mask in your pocket this thread would not have existed

If you’d not been in a state of discombobulating you could have suggested that you wore your helmet with visor down to order :D

:D used to soften the fact that you might think I’m suggesting, your opening moan has a root cause of you not having a mask and the knock on events, tipping you into a discombobulated state and then anger all point to you - A bit like an IAM rider getting grassed by a #goprowanker

I am….

Cat & Fidldle road

I used to live just off the Leek Road and when I worked in Macc I got to ride over on the Cat & Fiddle route most days.
Fabulous bit of road and I got quite good at it, eventually being able to cane the bike just about everywhere.
Wish I still had that trusty Honda c70.

Do you not wear a neck buff to use as a face mask?

I usually use the neck buff method when I get petrol etc but on this occasion my neck buff was stuffed
in my helmet hanging on my bike.
When I walked back to my bike I went for the can of Pepsi option from my tank bag.:thumb2

The ANPR is going to catch out those who just ride up for a chat a la bike meet, then not go in the shop
to enter their plate number. It's the reason I put this up here in the Peak District section as a heads up.:thumb2

I used to live just off the Leek Road and when I worked in Macc I got to ride over on the Cat & Fiddle route most days.
Fabulous bit of road and I got quite good at it, eventually being able to cane the bike just about everywhere.
Wish I still had that trusty Honda c70.

:D:D:D

I usually use the neck buff method when I get petrol etc but on this occasion my neck buff was stuffed
in my helmet hanging on my bike.
When I walked back to my bike I went for the can of Pepsi option from my tank bag.:thumb2

The ANPR is going to catch out those who just ride up for a chat a la bike meet, then not go in the shop
to enter their plate number. It's the reason I put this up here in the Peak District section as a heads up.:thumb2

It's been resurfaced now , so in places its back to its former glory.
A few months ago I called in and there was a young girl in the car park approaching all the bikers to ensure they were using the pub for food/drink .

Back
Top Bottom