Trangia Fuel

I've always just used the purple stuff + 10% water. I think the secret to the Trangia burner is, don't overfill it. You'll notice on the burner it has lots of little holes and these create a sort of gas ring effect. If you overfill the burner it takes quite a while for the meths to burn down to the optimum level and for it to burn efficiently.

Ah ok ta. I’ve never used one before. :thumb2

Udders, with the multi or omnifuel burner, you can use the gas canisters or petrol (from the pressurised bottle) as stated above.

As you have stated, you have a firebox stove so that you can use wood etc. when available or suitable to where you are cooking.

With the Firebox, which you can use the multifuel burner in, then all you need is a selection of pans/kettle/Zebra Billy pot and your cookset is complete.

It may be worth watching a few YouTube videos. 'Simon - A bloke in the woods' has a few advice videos about different stoves he uses and why, and which different pots and pans he uses etc. Worth having a look. Also, look at the Firebox Stove YouTube channel for ideas of how you can use that stove with all the different burners, as well as using billy cans to bake and roast etc.

He's good viewing Simon the bloke in the woods; did you see the Bakers tent he made himself;:okay ; he also likes his canoe camping, :beerjug:

Can’t be arsed to read all the posts - but out about 10% water in the meths - no sooty issues

I've always just used the purple stuff + 10% water. I think the secret to the Trangia burner is, don't overfill it. You'll notice on the burner it has lots of little holes and these create a sort of gas ring effect. If you overfill the burner it takes quite a while for the meths to burn down to the optimum level and for it to burn efficiently.

100% - half fill the burner ring - much more heat… and don’t overfill the kettle - when I’m kn my own I fill my mug - then dump that in the kettle - you get the exact amount for a coffee

Yeah, I can certainly vouch for that! :mad: I only used the Coleman fuel once and that was enough! What a frigging mess. :D
Coleman fuel is meant to be used from a pressurised reservoir via a hot generator. I’m not surprised you got soot. Abit like if you put unleaded petrol in a Zippo lighter (DAMHIK)

Coleman fuel is meant to be used from a pressurised reservoir via a hot generator. I’m not surprised you got soot. Abit like if you put unleaded petrol in a Zippo lighter (DAMHIK)

It’s the same old story, use it for the purpose it was made for and in the correct way.

You’re okay burning any old shit in an MSR Whisperlite International but even then you should jet accordingly or it’ll be a miserable experience (DAMHIK)

I once put some Nitro fuel designed for radio controlled cars into my Zippo for a laugh!

Not only did it burn very weakly, I have failed to get a spark ever since trying to light it.
I replaced the wick, flint, and even scrubbed the knurled wheel with soapy water - But whatever lubricant they add (I heard castor oil) has stopped any fire making friction.

Send it back to Zippo and the chances are they’ll replace it for you.

Well I got some of the purple methylated spirits yesterday, added a splash of water as advised and it worked a blooming treat! :thumb2
No smoke whatsoever and a nice clean, steady burn so thanks for the advice. :thumb2

Well I got some of the purple methylated spirits yesterday, added a splash of water as advised and it worked a blooming treat! :thumb2
No smoke whatsoever and a nice clean, steady burn so thanks for the advice. :thumb2

It works on the same principal as water injection in Drag engines.

It works on the same principal as water injection in Drag engines.

They actually add water to alcohol burning Top Fuel cars?

I've had my Trangia for 40 years ( got it for doing the D of E ) always used meths with no issues.

Back
Top Bottom