Trangia Fuel

Whenever I use petrol I go slightly upmarket and use Aspen 4T and get little or no soot compared to unleaded. I’ve tried Coleman fuel and get similar results to the 4T but I had as Aspen supplier closer so the choice was easy :D

I have not heard of the Aspen 4T you speak of.

I may have to look it up and try it.

Does it taste any better than meths? :D

Whenever I use petrol I go slightly upmarket and use Aspen 4T and get little or no soot compared to unleaded. I’ve tried Coleman fuel and get similar results to the 4T but I had as Aspen supplier closer so the choice was easy :D

£40 a gallon! :eek:

Udders, with the multi or omnifuel burner, you can use the gas canisters or petrol (from the pressurised bottle) as stated above.

As you have stated, you have a firebox stove so that you can use wood etc. when available or suitable to where you are cooking.

With the Firebox, which you can use the multifuel burner in, then all you need is a selection of pans/kettle/Zebra Billy pot and your cookset is complete.

It may be worth watching a few YouTube videos. 'Simon - A bloke in the woods' has a few advice videos about different stoves he uses and why, and which different pots and pans he uses etc. Worth having a look. Also, look at the Firebox Stove YouTube channel for ideas of how you can use that stove with all the different burners, as well as using billy cans to bake and roast etc.
That was the general train of thought with the meths burner and Firebox. If there’s no dry wood about then I can use the meths burner as a back up. But with the right smokeless type fuel. I bought a small bag of kindling to try on the Firebox to get the hang of how much to use and how to stack it. :D It would now appear I need a small hatchet / axe or something to reduce the wood to a usable size. :blast :D.
I’ll have a look at some of those vids too ta. :thumb2

I’m certainly enjoying getting myself kitted up and it would also appear to be giving some of you amusement too! Win win. :D

£40 a gallon! :eek:

I think I pay £18 for 5 litres.
All garden machinery shops sell it, and a lot of hire shops too!

I put the 2T in the chainsaw, strimmer and outboard motor, as it will happily sit in the carbs for years without going off.

Meths with a small amount of water

I think I pay £18 for 5 litres.
All garden machinery shops sell it, and a lot of hire shops too!

I put the 2T in the chainsaw, strimmer and outboard motor, as it will happily sit in the carbs for years without going off.

I think it was a bit less last time I bought 5l but premium quality has never been cheap.

It never ceases to amaze me that some people will spend a fortune on tent, sleeping bag, camping bed, titanium pans and packaged meals then bung cheap fuel in their stove. You can probably cook 20 meals on 5l of Aspen because it burns hotter and if it costs you £2 more per litre it’s a pretty insignificant cost.

This stuff? For a Coleman petrol stove. Not heard of it before

Panel wipe is basically naphthalene and similar to Coleman fuel.
Some say don't use it as it dries and cracks the seals.

At about £3.50p per litre, I can't see any reason not to use Aspen 4T as a petrol substitute.
It's Alkylate fuel that is produced from vapour. I have spent winters nights in a tent burning Aspen in the Coleman Northstar.
No smell, no smoke, no headache.

I’ve never bothered doing a time trial to see if Aspen reduces the time to boil 1l of water but I know how much time I save not cleaning soot of my pans before packing them away and it’s a lot.

I’ve never bothered doing a time trial to see if Aspen reduces the time to boil 1l of water but I know how much time I save not cleaning soot of my pans before packing them away and it’s a lot.

Yeah, I can certainly vouch for that! :mad: I only used the Coleman fuel once and that was enough! What a frigging mess. :D

Several crossed wires going on here as the thread switches between the spirit burner and the multi fuel adapter.

Alcohol based fuel only in the spirit burner. Adding up to 10% water to purple meths prevents sooting. Burning petrol based fuel like unleaded, Aspen4T, or Coleman fuel is hopeless dangerous and will lead to loads of soot and a clogged up burner.

The multi fuel X2 adapter can run on several different oil based fuels like petrol, paraffin and diesel. But NOT on alcohol fuels. Some of the oil based fuels are sootier than others, coleman fuel and Aspen4T are normally the cleanest, paraffin and diesel the worst. Don’t burn unleaded petrol in it. It’s poisonous.

You can also run the multi fuel X2 adapter with bottled gas with an EN471 adapter (regular screw on/off gas canisters used on most modern stoves and lamps).

I don’t have a multi fuel stove. Just a spirit burner so I just need to find the cleanest fuel for that. :thumb2

love my Trangia, I've used them for more years than I care to remember. I on my hols when using it, I don't care how long it tales to boil 1/2 litre of water, it's not that long anyway.
Nothing worse than enjoying a nice quite morning cupper and someone sparks up their mighty 'Jetboil' Christ, sounds like a bloody jet flying overhead. Even worse if there's 2 of them, then they start shouting to speak because they can't hear each other. Trangia, it's good for the inner Karma.
As for fuel, meths with 10% water, lessens the sooting. To be honest I've never tried anything else.

love my Trangia, I've used them for more years than I care to remember. I on my hols when using it, I don't care how long it tales to boil 1/2 litre of water, it's not that long anyway.
Nothing worse than enjoying a nice quite morning cupper and someone sparks up their mighty 'Jetboil' Christ, sounds like a bloody jet flying overhead. Even worse if there's 2 of them, then they start shouting to speak because they can't hear each other. Trangia, it's good for the inner Karma.
As for fuel, meths with 10% water, lessens the sooting. To be honest I've never tried anything else.
Excellent. :thumb2
Is that white meths or the purple stuff? The white is not easy to find. :nenau

Excellent. :thumb2
Is that white meths or the purple stuff? The white is not easy to find. :nenau

I've always just used the purple stuff + 10% water. I think the secret to the Trangia burner is, don't overfill it. You'll notice on the burner it has lots of little holes and these create a sort of gas ring effect. If you overfill the burner it takes quite a while for the meths to burn down to the optimum level and for it to burn efficiently.

Back
Top Bottom