Scotland tour 2021

Superb ride! Some great pics there too! :thumb2

Great report, photographs and write up .... I can't see why people are busting a gut to get abroad :)

Thank you :thumby:

:beerjug:

Good write up and some good pictures; i had to laugh at cheering for the Italians all the way through the match;; that has to be the Taff; :D:beerjug:

Great report, photographs and write up .... I can't see why people are busting a gut to get abroad :)

I love riding in Scotland ( was up there myself a couple of weeks ago) for us its is a fabulous destination and can be done quite easily all the way up on great roads ( through the Dales and along the spine top of the Penines etc) but for those unfortunate enough to live in the south i can see why Europe is preferred as it is easier to get to !

Going to France on the Tnell is for me a PITA as it involves 250 miles of motorway each way to get to Folkstone the same goes for Spain which requires Portsmouth or Plymouth

So for ease and pleasure Scotland is brilliant

I love riding in Scotland ( was up there myself a couple of weeks ago) for us its is a fabulous destination and can be done quite easily all the way up on great roads ( through the Dales and along the spine top of the Penines etc) but for those unfortunate enough to live in the south i can see why Europe is preferred as it is easier to get to !

Going to France on the Tnell is for me a PITA as it involves 250 miles of motorway each way to get to Folkstone the same goes for Spain which requires Portsmouth or Plymouth

I'm 680 miles from the Chunnel; you want to try that slog!

Cheers Micky it was a great trip, I did wonder if we might see you but it's a big place ;)

A great trip.

Looking forward to the next one :thumb2

Fingers crossed ;)

Good write up and some good pictures; i had to laugh at cheering for the Italians all the way through the match;; that has to be the Taff; :D:beerjug:

If he didn't bite it would be no fun :D

I dislike the journey to the tunnel for similar reasons I prefer a boat across the channel every time, that said the journey North to Lockerbie wasn't half as bad in reality as I had remembered it to be, could be we got lucky with the weather and traffic conditions :nenau

Excellent choice of route. :thumb2 The road down to the Clyde ferry is one of Scotland's little known gems. Then you've got one of the finest ferry crossings in the world (in terms of views) at the end of it. The good weather you got for it is an absolute bonus!

Currently in Scotland staying in Fort William. We went to Applecross today via the A87, what a road! Stopped at Eilean Donan Castle for the obligatory photos and then over the Pass of The Cattle. Applecross was closed! Everything shut due to Covid except the campsite which has a mobile chippe. We returned via the lowland coastal road and that had fantastic scenery, we were blessed with the weather, bright sunshine and clear blue skies. What a day!

Currently in Scotland staying in Fort William. We went to Applecross today via the A87, what a road! Stopped at Eilean Donan Castle for the obligatory photos and then over the Pass of The Cattle. Applecross was closed! Everything shut due to Covid except the campsite which has a mobile chippe. We returned via the lowland coastal road and that had fantastic scenery, we were blessed with the weather, bright sunshine and clear blue skies. What a day!

I trust sir is planning to head for Ullapool and points north? Turn west off the main NC500 route and take the Wee Mad Road to Lochinver via Inverkirkaig. Have a bite to eat at Lochinver and then head north to Kylescu via Clachtoll. Take a wee detour to Achmelvich and chill at one of the finest beaches in western Europe.

That'll be another day well spent. A long day from Fort Bill,mind! :thumb2

I trust sir is planning to head for Ullapool and points north? Turn west off the main NC500 route and take the Wee Mad Road to Lochinver via Inverkirkaig. Have a bite to eat at Lochinver and then head north to Kylescu via Clachtoll. Take a wee detour to Achmelvich and chill at one of the finest beaches in western Europe.

That'll be another day well spent. A long day from Fort Bill,mind! :thumb2

Having a bit of a rest day today. Heading out soon to see Glenfynnan Viaduct and then over to Camusdarach Beach south of Mallaig as her Ladyship would like to go for a swim.

Thanks for the info Peter, having a long day doesn't bother us, we must have done close on 250 miles yesterday.

Thanks Steve, looks like a great trip, wonderful place to visit, we have been doing around 3 weeks every September for a few years, take the Motorhome with a small bike on the back, never short of somewhere to stay :D

Thanks Steve, looks like a great trip, wonderful place to visit, we have been doing around 3 weeks every September for a few years, take the Motorhome with a small bike on the back, never short of somewhere to stay :D

Will you remind me, please, of the make of your bike trailer with the castor wheels?

Having a bit of a rest day today. Heading out soon to see Glenfynnan Viaduct and then over to Camusdarach Beach south of Mallaig as her Ladyship would like to go for a swim.

Thanks for the info Peter, having a long day doesn't bother us, we must have done close on 250 miles yesterday.

Take the easy route via Loch Ness and Inversnecky (Inverness). Then to Ullapool via the A835. If you go via the west coast route, it'll take you all day just to get to Ullapool!

Excellent choice of route. :thumb2 The road down to the Clyde ferry is one of Scotland's little known gems. Then you've got one of the finest ferry crossings in the world (in terms of views) at the end of it. The good weather you got for it is an absolute bonus!

There will be a return visit and a few more ferry rides I'm sure thanks for the tips and local knowledge :thumby:

Cheers Neil I don't know why I've left it so long to get up there on a bike :beerjug:

You're doing well with the weather too I thought I had bagged Scotland's summer week ;)

There will be a return visit and a few more ferry rides I'm sure thanks for the tips and local knowledge :thumby:

Cheers Neil I don't know why I've left it so long to get up there on a bike :beerjug:

You're doing well with the weather too I thought I had bagged Scotland's summer week ;)

Welcome. This has been mentioned on the forum before. Gives a pretty good basis for touring the country and includes the roads I mentioned plus many others.

My one bit of advice to folks is to think east - west and not north - south! The NC500 is spectacular but I would avoid it at peak season and enjoy the relative quiet of the borders and Galloway. There are fantastic roads and wonderful places to visit - from the wilds of Glentrool and the Isle of Whithorn to the the Dalveen Pass and Leadhills, St Mary's Loch, Scott's View near Melrose and a wee dip into Northumbria to Lindisfarne. And if you want a ferry, you can add Arran into the mix.

Weather wise, this has probably been the longest spell of very hot weather for a long time. Not far off 1976, I'd guess? Sometimes a tad too hot for the bike! Not that I'm complaining!

Back
Top Bottom