Motogp at Philip Island

daleslad

All round good guy
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,
I’m contemplating travelling to Philip Island for the 2022 Motogp. I’ll be flying of course and I’d appreciate any tips/advice from those that have done the trip. Going all that way I plan on staying for 2/3 weeks so anything you could pass on would be most helpful. Where did you stay? How did you get there & particularly interested to hear how you got to the island from the mainland.
TIA
Phil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting onto the Island from the mainland is easy via the bridge!! I have been to WSB twice, drove down from Melbourne the first time just for race day and stayed Airb&b second time, accommodation is limited on the Island but it is worth it if available, we stayed on a couple of days after event and went to see the penguins and other local attractions and restaurants when it wasn’t so busy. Melbourne is a nice place to spend a few days as well and drive a bit of the great ocean road where you can see Koalas from the roadside and the 12 Apostles( only 9 really). Plus it is as spectacular as it looks on the tele!!

Al.

Getting onto the Island from the mainland is easy via the bridge!! I have been to WSB twice, drove down from Melbourne the first time just for race day and stayed Airb&b second time, accommodation is limited on the Island but it is worth it if available, we stayed on a couple of days after event and went to see the penguins and other local attractions and restaurants when it wasn’t so busy. Melbourne is a nice place to spend a few days as well and drive a bit of the great ocean road where you can see Koalas from the roadside and the 12 Apostles( only 9 really). Plus it is as spectacular as it looks on the tele!!

Al.

Thanks for that Al, I appreciate your comments…

The penguins are well worth seeing, but one word of advice, wrap up well, it gets very cold after dark. One corner on the racetrack is not referred to as Siberia for nothing ;)

It's a 2-3 hour drive from Melbourne to Phillip Island. The circuit is as good as it looks on tv. Truly spectacular setting, but can be very windy. The penguin parade gets busy and needs advance booking.

Melbourne is a fabulous city to visit. Sport, music, food, shopping. Nice place to be, but traffic can be a challenge. watch out for the "hook turns" i.e. turning right from the left hand lane; crazy, but it works. The tram will take you to trendy St Kilda for good seafood and Luna Park funfair, if that's your thing.

The Great Ocean Road is only 250 ish miles long, starts just outside of Melbourne and worth doing. Ballarat, an old mining town is also a decent place to visit.

I was there in 2004 so things may have changed.

I was staying on the Mornington Peninsular and I caught a ferry from Stony Point to Phillip Island. All very simple on foot, just like the Isle of Man ferry. I walked from the ferry terminal to the track.

As said, the weather is SO changeable. We had hail stones on the Friday with a red hot Saturday and Sunday.

A brilliant track - designed by nature not some joker on a computer - add in the location and you've got one of the best motorbike racing circuits that there is.

Have a great time...:thumb

It's an easy drive and a decent campsite where you get to meet some funny people , or do the padestrian thing from stoney point. Iv'e done both for the island classic and WSB these are in their summer so the weather tends to be better. It's handy as my son lives on Stoney Point .:D The curcuit is brilliant and the night life in Cowes is ok too.

I did 6000km round NSW, the Alpine region, etc in 2019 and we took a trip down to Philipp Island in for the MotoGP. Really enjoyed it, it has much more of a club circuit feel than the far slicker set ups in Europe and Asia. It was the race when Cal did his ankle in, which was a shame.

As others have said it can be a cold and bleak place. Getting there is easy, hire a bike if you can as traffic can be bad. We stayed at an AA hotel about 30 minutes up the coast and it was a nice ride down. I can look it up for you if you want.

The fabled coast road was ok but filled with an endless line of coaches filled with Chinese tourists, who swarmed out at every viewpoint to take pictures of themselves. I didn’t regard it as a highlight. Melbourne is nice too, when it’s not under martial law. I was surprised that the airport has all the signs in Chinese as well as English, Chinese investors own a lot of Australia, it seems.

The highlights were in the Alps and some of the country downs, koalas, and lots of dirt roads.

Thanks for that Berin. We will be looking at finding a place to stay via Airbnb but if you have the details of where you stayed it would be useful, cheers…

Back
Top Bottom