R1200GSA value?

Richie N

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Apologies, posted previously in the for sale section in error.

I’m undecided whether to sell my GSA. It’s a 2006 with 63k miles (ULEZ compliant), just MOT’d today, bought from a member on here, and serviced by another! The main issue is that it is cosmetically challenged, especially the front cover and service rust on the rear subframe. It needs TLC. To be honest if I keep it and use it for work, it’s going to need some work done on the surface rust in the not too distant future, so I would probably sell it and replace it with something newer.

Reason for possible sale is that I use it for travelling to work, and my hip and both knees are pretty buggered. I’m only going in twice a week to the office post COVID so perhaps the train will do for that?

Anyway, valuing something like this is difficult, as most for sale appear to be cosmetically in great condition. The lowest prices generally around £5,500.

So what’s the low end on value for something like this?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 374
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 367
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 358
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 366
More pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 354
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 357
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 355
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 372
I was shot down in flames on here for asking £6k for a 2012 bike in a similar condition

I even dropped the price to 4k, no takers

Ive since put the effort in and removed and cleaned the timing cover and had the rear sub frame powder coated.

Bike is all assembled now and looks good.

Thanks Stew. If you don’t know the value, you don’t want to start too low..

Yeah, I had thought about it. But at the moment I have a full garage. If I sell a car, I’ll have the space to work on the bike and do that. Would it be worth the extra money? I would be quite happy to get a reasonable sum and leave a lot on the table for someone prepared to do the work.

I don’t think the rear subframe come off on a 2006? Looks to be a one piece frame?

Thats my old bike! Sold to Twizzle some years ago!

edit: F me!:eek: Do you work in a Russian salt mine??:blast

Want it back! Lol

It’s been a great bike to be fair. I think I’ve done around 35k on it.

I’ve just had a look at the thread removing the rear subframe - that put me right off, too involved for me.

The rear subframe comes off, but I reckon on 2 days to dismantle and re-assemble.

GrieiF0.jpg
[/IMG]

The rear subframe comes off, but I reckon on 2 days to dismantle and re-assemble.

GrieiF0.jpg
[/IMG]
It looks scary but its not that bad.

The worst bit is getting the siezed fasteners undone.

Bike goes back together mich quick than it comes apart

Thanks for that. So, that strip down is purely for he subframe? That’s a lot!

Two days of you know what you’re doing?:)

I'd so have a lot of left over fixings if I ever attempted something like that!

Thanks Stew. If you don’t know the value, you don’t want to start too low..

I have a similar mileage GSA, same exact colour as yours, 2007.
I have initial rust on the rear subframe, some corrosion points on the shaft and the rear hub is not in great conditions. Some corrosion points at the front of the engine.
Yours is destroyed. :D

I was planning to take the rear frame off this winter to have it re-painted, just trying to understand with what and where.

Going to your question: 5.5 is a bit of an optimistic amount of money IMHO.
I assumed mine was around 4.5/5k, maybe less (I'm not considering the Ohlins suspension and a couple of other extras I have on the bike). A friend (and member here) just bought a 2008 with low mileage (half what my bike and yours traveled) and pristine conditions + nitron shocks for a tad less than 6k.

My 2010 twin cam was only a little more than what you are considering.

Please don’t take offence, but I think £3-3.5k would be top money for such a battered example.

Somebody will need to spend some serious time or money to get that looking half decent.

This is mine, 2010 GSA, I’ve had it over 3 years, it was like yours when I got it, now has 155,000 miles, unfortunately it’s worth bugger all :blast have just been up to Oban in Scotland and touring about a bit……sweet as a nut :thumb

Nothing a bit of TLC, time and paint can’t fix! (And cash :blast )

TJpJ8wH.jpg

Thats my old bike! Sold to Twizzle some years ago!

edit: F me!:eek: Do you work in a Russian salt mine??:blast

Yep and I sold it to the OP - I’ll dig out a picture of the day he collected it….let’s say we have different cleaning regimes!!!

Yep and I sold it to the OP - I’ll dig out a picture of the day he collected it….let’s say we have different cleaning regimes!!!

As sold to Twizzle,....how it once looked.:tears

Attachments

• GSA1.JPG
    GSA1.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 301
  • GSA2.JPG
    GSA2.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 292
When i sold my GS it was tired cosmetically ,

The compsny i sold it to, rattle canned the front cover & crashbars,

removed the front spots and added 2K to the price i sold it for

A bit less than what the OP was looking for, but not far off

If you want more , your going to have to spend a bit of time & money to get there

Perhaps look into the costs of refurbishing it and any other mechanics that need sorting.
Then factor in the hassle element and deduct from the going rate for a nice one of this age.
IMHO £2500 to someone who does not mind taking that on or just continue to ride and enjoy it without being too precious about it.

There is something great about not caring where and when you use it, in what weather conditions or where you leave it parked.

Good luck with it all.

Haha! Yeah, cleaning them is not my specialty 😆

Back
Top Bottom