Shoei Neotec 2 & SRL comms kit

Bounce

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Am considering this lid & comms kit.

Reading the reviews & watching the videos, all appears to be very good.

Not having used in helmet speakers for years (I've been using custom fit in ear monitors), the Shoei Neotec 2 & SRL set up has specific recesses in the lid to fit the speakers, which is fine as long as your ears are in perfect alignment with the speakers. Looking at the Sena utility app, there is the option of an 'audio boost' to increase the volume.

So, my question to those of you using this lid/comms kit......

1. At speed (50 mph+), is the volume of the comms kit (listening to music; talking/listening via phone/pillion/other rider; GPS instructions) loud/clear enough with the audio boost activated

2. Do/don't you wear foam ear plugs when wearing your Neotec 2 lid

Thx :D

I have a shoei neotec 2 fitted with my cardo packtalk. The helmet speakers work "ok" with foam ear plugs up to about 40mph, then become ineffective as sound quality is degraded by wind noise. For comms to work well for me I unplug the speakers and use my ultimate ears moulded plugs, so sound quality is great up to silly speeds.(Music and comms/phone)
Just my opinion, but using speakers with foam plugs is not logical. you are forced to turn the volume up to overcome the foam plugs so putting your hearing at risk of damage
for me having the helmet speakers is just a fall back option in case the UE plugs develop a fault!
Re SRL, not a fan of integrated kit prefer to be able to switch helmets and just swap cardo across if need be

I have the Neotec 2 with the built in Sena comms pack.

1) Volume is great, you can adjust each of the sources volumes as you wish eg phone / GPS etc.
2) I use moulded ear plugs. Ears are comfortable with the speakers installed. Battery life seems to exceed a days use with music always playing, unless over-rided by the navigation prompts.

I have the Neotec 2 with the built in Sena comms pack.

1) Volume is great, you can adjust each of the sources volumes as you wish eg phone / GPS etc.
2) I use moulded ear plugs. Ears are comfortable with the speakers installed. Battery life seems to exceed a days use with music always playing, unless over-rided by the navigation prompts.

Do you have the audio boost enabled via the Sena Utility app, and if so, does it make a positive difference?

And how aligned are the centre of the speakers to the centre of the ear canal?

And moulded ear plugs - I presume you mean custom fit, or is it just squidgy foam types?

Hi may not be an issue for you but I have the Neotec 2 with SRL modified to allow a jack input for audio ear buds, perfect audio at 70 plus with reduced hearing
Also added the Sena remote which removes the small niggle with access to volume controls etc

Good luck

Hi may not be an issue for you but I have the Neotec 2 with SRL modified to allow a jack input for audio ear buds, perfect audio at 70 plus with reduced hearing
Also added the Sena remote which removes the small niggle with access to volume controls etc

Good luck

Could you explain how to or could you tell me where to get it done, thanks.

I don't believe the SRL has the Mesh system for bike to bike comms. If you intend to use bike to bike in a group, Mesh is widely regarded to be much more reliable and much greater range then Bluetooth. For this reason I would not go with the SRL.
I also agree with the above comments on speakers -I too regard earplugs with speakers to be counter intuitive. I have a Packtalk Bold with Etymotic ear buds in place of speakers and the music quality is great all any speed.

Shoei Neotec 2 & SRL comms kit

I’ve been using a Neotec 2 with SRL since it came out. Now have a J Cruise 2 with SRL as well.
I use custom fit moulded ear plugs and can hear comms/music fine at 60/70 mph.
I previously had a Packtalk and it was very unreliable when trying to connect with a group using similar.
It would either not connect or connect to the wrong person and with 6 of us all linked up we constantly got unwanted ‘calls’.
Utter crap.
As luck would have it, the battery failed a month before the warranty expired so I returned it for a full refund and bought the Neotec 2 plus SRL.
The SRL is pretty much foolproof and very reliable when paired with another person, be it pillion or another rider.
Plus it’s integrated and unobtrusive.

I have this set up, with pinlock ear plugs, it’s great at speeds 60/70mph, I have the +Mesh Adapter for seamless connection, and the remote controller. Also connection to TFT, Android phone is great. I don’t play music, and I don’t have GPS sound coming through.

My only complaint is the sun visor slider cover broke off, so sent back to the UK distributor (Feridax) who sent it to Germany for repair resulting in being without the helmet for 4 weeks, just got it back but was totally p*sped off being without it for so long

I’ve been using a Neotec 2 with SRL since it came out. Now have a J Cruise 2 with SRL as well.
I use custom fit moulded ear plugs and can hear comms/music fine at 60/70 mph.
I previously had a Packtalk and it was very unreliable when trying to connect with a group using similar.
It would either not connect or connect to the wrong person and with 6 of us all linked up we constantly got unwanted ‘calls’.
Utter crap.
As luck would have it, the battery failed a month before the warranty expired so I returned it for a full refund and bought the Neotec 2 plus SRL.
The SRL is pretty much foolproof and very reliable when paired with another person, be it pillion or another rider.
Plus it’s integrated and unobtrusive.

Martin, so you use the SRL straight out of the box, no modifications @ all?

Have you used the audio boost facility via the Sena utility app?

I have a SRL fitted to a Neotec 2 and another fitted to a GT Air. Excellent units. Volume is fine. I have audio boost enabled on both. With a decent screen I listen to music and radio up to 80-90mph. GT Air is slightly quieter. Also have the + Mesh unit. Works flawlessly. I would recommend it.

I have a SRL fitted to a Neotec 2 and another fitted to a GT Air. Excellent units. Volume is fine. I have audio boost enabled on both. With a decent screen I listen to music and radio up to 80-90mph. GT Air is slightly quieter. Also have the + Mesh unit. Works flawlessly. I would recommend it.

Do you wear ear plugs with the Neotec 2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. I use moulded ear plugs.

As in custom moulded ear plugs, or just squidgy foam ones?

Also, you say the GT air is quieter....is the Neotec 2 a lot noisier, or just a smidge?

I've had my Neotec 2 with SRL for 18 months and it's great, volume is great at motorway speeds, with Audio boost off, I wear custom ear plugs with filters in. The position of the speakers work well for me but a mate bought his at the same time and finds it far too quiet and is planning on going back to Autocom (we both instruct).

I like the fact the SRL is integrated and it pairs well any Sena headset, I also use a Sena SR10 which connects a radio to my headset.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

As in custom moulded ear plugs, or just squidgy foam ones?

Also, you say the GT air is quieter....is the Neotec 2 a lot noisier, or just a smidge?

Mine are custom moulded. Ultimate Ears with filters. Neotec 2 is slightly noisier. Obviously due to the flip front. A great helmet nevertheless.

I've had my Neotec 2 with SRL for 18 months and it's great, volume is great at motorway speeds, with Audio boost off, I wear custom ear plugs with filters in. The position of the speakers work well for me but a mate bought his at the same time and finds it far too quiet and is planning on going back to Autocom (we both instruct).

I like the fact the SRL is integrated and it pairs well any Sena headset, I also use a Sena SR10 which connects a radio to my headset.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

My primary concern is not being able to hear due to either low volume via the helmet speakers, and/or if the speakers don’t align exactly with my ear canals.

That’s why I was interested to hear of peoples experience with the audio boost enabled.

Mine are custom moulded. Ultimate Ears with filters. Neotec 2 is slightly noisier. Obviously due to the flip front. A great helmet nevertheless.

I’ve got some wired (v old) UE custom fit plugs with knackered wiring, so I could cut the wires off and use just the plugs.

I’ve got some wired (v old) UE custom fit plugs with knackered wiring, so I could cut the wires off and use just the plugs.

I am pleased with mine. I listen to Radio 4 a lot so it is spoken word. I can hear it easily at motorway speeds. I have a Wunderlich Marathon screen fitted as I am tall. No issues with sound. I suspect the speaker alignment is slightly better for me with the GT Air. But only marginally.

Back
Top Bottom