V5 Incorrect vehicle type?

Stuc-a-chroin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
TFL are currently saying my 2007 BMW GS is not exempt from the congestion charge in London because it is not a motorcycle. Whilst it very clearly is a motorcycle this is apparently becuase my V5 says my vehicle 'type approval' is M1 which is a four wheeled vehicle.

Does anyone else's GS have M1 as the type approval on the V5? I believe motorcycles should be L3.

When I put my reg into here - https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/check-your-vehicle/ - it comes up with a car icon instead of a bike icon like my VFR does! So annoying!

Has anyone had this problem before? If so how did you resolve it? Any help appreciated!

If so how did you resolve it?

If you were facing a firing squad, where your only route out of the life ending event was to answer one question: How do you think it’s easiest to correct an error on a V5?

Would your urgently shouted answer be:

A. Asking a mate

B. Writing to your MP

C. Contacting the DVLA

D. Asking your neighbour’s dog

E. Hosting a sceance

F. Crying out in the wilderness

G. By joining the local Brownie pack

Ready…. aim……

2560px-El_Tres_de_Mayo%2C_by_Francisco_de_Goya%2C_from_Prado_thin_black_margin.jpg

If you were facing a firing squad, where your only route out of the life ending event was to answer one question: How do you think it’s easiest to correct an error on a V5?

A. Asking a mate

B. Writing to your MP

C. Contacting the DVLA

E. Hosting a sceance

Ready…. aim……

:D:D:D

Genius :thumb

TFL are currently saying my 2007 BMW GS is not exempt from the congestion charge in London because it is not a motorcycle. Whilst it very clearly is a motorcycle this is apparently becuase my V5 says my vehicle 'type approval' is M1 which is a four wheeled vehicle.

Does anyone else's GS have M1 as the type approval on the V5? I believe motorcycles should be L3.

When I put my reg into here - https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/check-your-vehicle/ - it comes up with a car icon instead of a bike icon like my VFR does! So annoying!

Has anyone had this problem before? If so how did you resolve it? Any help appreciated!

My 04 is also M1
I've just changed address, so I'll see if the new V5 is corrected.

Smiffy

A. Asking a mate

B. Writing to your MP

C. Contacting the DVLA

E. Hosting a sceance

whilst amusing, I think its a bit harsh if you apply current logic to the issue - I suspect this shows your age and an expectation of a sensible world that ended at least 10 years back...

Do you really think there is anyone left at the DVLA that can actually read, let alone type the correct character on a keyboard anymore? :rob

Just looked at all my motorcycle registration documents. None of them have vehicle category at all. Whilst my car does say M1.

Thanks gents, including Mr Wapping's response. A 'I think your only hope is to try the DVLA' would probably have sufficed, but hey it's an internet forum so why not write something mildly ridiculing instead eh? ;) I actually live just across the Highway from you so give me a wave if you see a black hex.

I was hoping that someone had had a similar scenario and had made TFL see sense, but it seems that I'll have to try the DVLA route first, then go back to TFL! Sigh.

Thanks again.

Sounds like a right headache.

But I was thinking, how is the box road tax categorised? If that's down as bicycle (which it should be) then it might help pin down where the cock up has occurred?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I got the emissions data from BMW, (email eccoc@bmw.co.uk with your reg and they will send you the Certificate Of Conformity), updated my V5 with that and the corrected vehicle category, and sent it to DVLA in July. I contacted them today (via their web chat) and was told that someone was still looking into it. So 4 months, but at least it hasn't just been forgotten.

I've only just seen this thread and I know it's a few weeks old but, my V5 also States "M1".
I phoned DVLA this afternoon and they've promised to have it rectified within a week.
We'll see.....

I've only just seen this thread and I know it's a few weeks old but, my V5 also States "M1".
I phoned DVLA this afternoon and they've promised to have it rectified within a week.
We'll see.....

Has it happened? I'm about to go down the same route.

Has it happened? I'm about to go down the same route.

Within a couple of Days I received a Letter from DVLA "Vehicle Casework Unit" telling me I needed to speak with BMW on 0800 325 6000, ask for Written Confirmation that what I was claiming was correct (i.e. that a BMW R1200GSA is indeed a Motorcycle ((FFS!!))), and send it to them at the Email Address provided.
BMW were really helpful, asking that I send a Copy of my V5 via Email as proof of Ownership etc, and saying they would call back today, which they did.
They Emailed the promised Confirmation which I have this Evening sent to DVLA.
However, I have also had to Email another BMW Address (mentioned earlier in this Thread) requesting a Certificate of Conformity to prove NOX Emissions and gain Free Access into the ever expanding ULEZ Areas.
Things are moving.....

Within a couple of Days I received a Letter from DVLA "Vehicle Casework Unit" telling me I needed to speak with BMW on 0800 325 6000, ask for Written Confirmation that what I was claiming was correct (i.e. that a BMW R1200GSA is indeed a Motorcycle ((FFS!!))), and send it to them at the Email Address provided.
BMW were really helpful, asking that I send a Copy of my V5 via Email as proof of Ownership etc, and saying they would call back today, which they did.
They Emailed the promised Confirmation which I have this Evening sent to DVLA.
However, I have also had to Email another BMW Address (mentioned earlier in this Thread) requesting a Certificate of Conformity to prove NOX Emissions and gain Free Access into the ever expanding ULEZ Areas.
Things are moving.....

Thanks for the info. If that's the case I've got better things to do than spend my time correcting DVLA's F.U. I very much doubt that I'll be driving into London and as it's been wrong for 12 years it can stay wrong.
Good luck with your quest:thumby:

Back
Top Bottom