Cruising for a bruising?

Slick Nick

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The cruise control on my 2017 Adv 1200 won’t disengage when I pull the clutch lever in and revs away freely but works perfectly when either brake is applied.
It seems like an issue with the clutch switch not disengaging.
Does anyone know a simple fix or do I leave it in to the dealer.
Thanks,
Nick.

There was a thread about this on here - iirc, there are two microswitches switches in the clutch lever base, one for “not fully released” and one for “pulled all the way in”. Sounds like the first one isn’t doing what it’s supposed to. Don’t know how easy they are to extract.

It’s actually using the back brake

Actually, you're both wrong. When I had my 1200 GS LC, I tried them all and the smoothest transition from cruise to manual was to apply a touch of throttle while just engaging the clutch lever very briefly with the slightest, almost imperceptible pressure. The result was seamless.

Why is it, i drive my car, engage cruise and drive at 70mph

tap the brakes and the car slows imperceptably,

Do it on the GS, and its like you've slammed the anchors on and are trying to scrub speed off like its going out if fashion

Why is it, i drive my car, engage cruise and drive at 70mph

tap the brakes and the car slows imperceptably,

Do it on the GS, and its like you've slammed the anchors on and are trying to scrub speed off like its going out if fashion

I thought that this was due to the large differences in flywheel sizes between car and bike. As per usual, I could be wrong.

Actually, you're both wrong. When I had my 1200 GS LC, I tried them all and the smoothest transition from cruise to manual was to apply a touch of throttle while just engaging the clutch lever very briefly with the slightest, almost imperceptible pressure. The result was seamless.

Yes, this. done it for years.

That may be; with a little practice to get just right. It's probably very "slick". However, it is not the safest way to do it. If you get it slightly wrong, or even VERY wrong, it can get messy. The trouble is that you train your brain in muscle memory and if distance becomes an issue, then it can quickly get away from you. It only has to happen once. Closing the throttle past the stop IS the safest way and, for most, the gentlest method. Triumph do this better and before a friend chimes in, I have only just learned that you can do the same on the GS. Triumph have a definite "overrun", whereas with BMW you have to apply pressure.

I have to say that I treat CC with extreme caution and I have certain "rules" of use. I think it's great when you're limited to, say, 50mph on a average speed section, for example (M4?) where uncannily everyone sticks to the exactly the same speed. Above 50 I will only use it if it's dry, and there are no more than 5 cars widely spaced before me, a state of affairs hard to come by in the UK. This is because that millisecond where you spot the danger ahead and close the throttle translates exponentially into valuable meters in the end. Whatever your chosen method of releasing the CC, it's never as immediate as closing the throttle and can easily de-stabilise you at a critical moment. Equally, I NEVER, EVER use it where there are bends of almost any radius; that really IS asking for trouble!! Try it on a climbing (or descending, even) bend section on an empty dual carriageway one day if you want to scare yourself; it will apply power exactly where it's instinctive not to! Very disconcerting.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of CC. That feeling when you close the throttle (or take your foot off an accelerator in a car) and the thing just keeps on going...... as I say: valuable meters lost!

A story: (bear with).

Last year, Asturias (northern Spain). I went for a day-jolly to Luarca. I took the back roads there and stopped for a coffee in Luarca. Whilst there it began to drizzle. As we all know, the worst time to ride is THAT moment, but it wasn't going to improve, so I decided that the motorway would be the safest option. I toyed with the idea of using CC for the 20 minute ride and decided against it, not least because it broke 3 of my cardinal rules: wet, bendy and undulating. When it rains, the paint on the tarmac turns into a skating rink and they have long thick (5m long) arrows painted before every exit. This arrow happened to be on a long descending left hand bend and I was doing 70 mph. Without warning the bike just slipped away under me. I didn't come off but it was very close and it's only because the off-ramp was there and therefore had somewhere to go that I didn't end up cutting myself in half on the sharp barrier. I hasten to add that I wasn't intending to take that particular exit.

I'm pretty sure that if I'd been using CC, it would have de-stabilised me. You may argue that the TC would have disconnected it, but I'm not convinced because the wheel didn't slip fwd or rearward, just sideways. If it were to disengage, it would have been in a way I wasn't ready for (because my brain wouldn't have given the order, and therefore not prepared me). In any event, I'm quite sure that it would have de-stabilised me further.

Lastly, that same incident happend the year before to a chap and his wife riding a Goldwing, literally 1km away from my where I had my incident but going the other way. Sadly, he was not so lucky and he did hit the barrier. His wife survived. I can't say if he was using CC, but it was a Goldwing touring on a motorway.... what do you think?

Ride safe, people. :thumb

That may be; with a little practice to get just right. It's probably very "slick". However, it is not the safest way to do it. If you get it slightly wrong, or even VERY wrong, it can get messy. The trouble is that you train your brain in muscle memory and if distance becomes an issue, then it can quickly get away from you. It only has to happen once. Closing the throttle past the stop IS the safest way and, for most, the gentlest method. Triumph do this better and before a friend chimes in, I have only just learned that you can do the same on the GS. Triumph have a definite "overrun", whereas with BMW you have to apply pressure.

I have to say that I treat CC with extreme caution and I have certain "rules" of use. I think it's great when you're limited to, say, 50mph on a average speed section, for example (M4?) where uncannily everyone sticks to the exactly the same speed. Above 50 I will only use it if it's dry, and there are no more than 5 cars widely spaced before me, a state of affairs hard to come by in the UK. This is because that millisecond where you spot the danger ahead and close the throttle translates exponentially into valuable meters in the end. Whatever your chosen method of releasing the CC, it's never as immediate as closing the throttle and can easily de-stabilise you at a critical moment. Equally, I NEVER, EVER use it where there are bends of almost any radius; that really IS asking for trouble!! Try it on a climbing (or descending, even) bend section on an empty dual carriageway one day if you want to scare yourself; it will apply power exactly where it's instinctive not to! Very disconcerting.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of CC. That feeling when you close the throttle (or take your foot off an accelerator in a car) and the thing just keeps on going...... as I say: valuable meters lost!

Last year, Asturias (northern Spain). I went for a day-jolly to Luarca. I took the back roads there and stopped for a coffee in Luarca. Whilst there it began to drizzle. As we all know, the worst time to ride is THAT moment, but it wasn't going to improve, so I decided that the motorway would be the safest option. I toyed with the idea of using CC for the 20 minute ride and decided against it, not least because it broke 3 of my cardinal rules: wet, bendy and undulating. When it rains, the paint on the tarmac turns into a skating rink and they have long thick (5m long) arrows painted before every exit. This arrow happened to be on a long descending left hand bend and I was doing 70 mph. Without warning the bike just slipped away under me. I didn't come off but it was very close and it's only because the off-ramp was there and therefore had somewhere to go that I didn't end up cutting myself in half on the sharp barrier. I hasten to add that I wasn't intending to take that particular exit.

I'm pretty sure that if I'd been using CC, it would have de-stabilised me. You may argue that the TC would have disconnected it, but I'm not convinced because the wheel didn't slip fwd or rearward, just sideways. If it were to disengage, it would have been in a way I wasn't ready for (because my brain wouldn't have given the order, and therefore not prepared me). In any event, I'm quite sure that it would have de-stabilised me further.

Lastly, that same incident happend the year before to a chap and his wife riding a Goldwing, literally 1km away from my where I had my incident but going the other way. Sadly, he was not so lucky and he did hit the barrier. His wife survived. I can't say if he was using CC, but it was a Goldwing touring on a motorway.... what do you think?

With you on that one , I never use it

It's just a tool to be used wisely and safely. Just like a motorcycles throttle, satnav, brakes etc. Misuse anything to do with a bike and it could have consequences.

I disagree that the method you use to turn off you CC is the safest, it has it's place of use if you are needing to reduce your speed suddenly, shutting the throttle is a reflex not easily overcome, so that method would come automatically.
The CC is often turned off when a speed increase is needed, in this case closing the throttle could be dangerous because of following traffic is expecting an increase of speed and not the vehicle in front of them effectively putting on the brakes with no brake lights, as you say 'valuable meters lost'. Remember we are dealing with texting car drivers relying in on a red light to tell them when to look up from their mobiles.
I most frequently use the CC to keep my speed down in built up areas and will be gathering a queue of annoyed local 4x4s behind me, the last thing I am going to do is chop the throttle. A little bit of throttle brush the clutch and off you go. Pillions appreciate the smoothness as well.
CC is a tool, having different ways of using it is a plus, don't stick to one way. Use whatever way the situation demands.

Use it 1 time when bike was new, to see if work ok, never use again, actually make me afraid that CC, maybe happy on route 66 in usa.

I disagree that the method you use to turn off you CC is the safest, it has it's place of use if you are needing to reduce your speed suddenly, shutting the throttle is a reflex not easily overcome, so that method would come automatically.
The CC is often turned off when a speed increase is needed, in this case closing the throttle could be dangerous because of following traffic is expecting an increase of speed and not the vehicle in front of them effectively putting on the brakes with no brake lights, as you say 'valuable meters lost'. Remember we are dealing with texting car drivers relying in on a red light to tell them when to look up from their mobiles.
I most frequently use the CC to keep my speed down in built up areas and will be gathering a queue of annoyed local 4x4s behind me, the last thing I am going to do is chop the throttle. A little bit of throttle brush the clutch and off you go. Pillions appreciate the smoothness as well.
CC is a tool, having different ways of using it is a plus, don't stick to one way. Use whatever way the situation demands.

I'm kinda talking about motorway or higher speed use. As has been said, sensible use is key. Robbing the throttle of control can lead to very disconcerting moments. I just don't think that "finding the sweet spot" adds anything to safety. I'd be very unlikely to use CC with a pillion; it's bad enough that I rarely carry one, let alone that they often aren't "natural" pillions. Another de-stabilising factor i don't need.

I'm kinda talking about motorway or higher speed use. As has been said, sensible use is key. Robbing the throttle of control can lead to very disconcerting moments. I just don't think that "finding the sweet spot" adds anything to safety. I'd be very unlikely to use CC with a pillion; it's bad enough that I rarely carry one, let alone that they often aren't "natural" pillions. Another de-stabilising factor i don't need.

Modern Cruise control systems have come on leaps and bounds,

Speeds are kept to the posted limits by way of automatic application of brakes , so gradients are no longer an issue.

I went most of the way up to & round Scotland using cruise control, with no issues,

whats the difference of going into a bend at 60 holding the throttle open, or going into the bend at 60 on cruise ? Its not as if your riding with your hands off the bars.

its like anything else, appropriate use if the conditions dictate...

Back
Top Bottom