Sometimes it’s the simplest things!

scooter paul

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
MOT time for one of my airheads. I haven’t used it for best part of a year. Fresh fuel, it had been drained including float bowls and battery had been on tender. It started right up but immediately I felt something wasn’t right. It sounded more like a big single even though it was firing on both and revved up cleanly. A quick test ride and performance was ok. So basically quite strange as ‘ it ran well before being stored’. After a Head scratch( page 3 in the manual of what the hell could have gone wrong) I remembered that I’d taken the tank off to replace the crankcase breather valve). What could have been disturbed? Yes! The throttle cables. One had come out of the junction box and the carbs were consequently out of balance as one butterfly was open at tadge more than the other. Free play readjusted and back to being smooth as silk .

Attachments

• EEE35AA7-C4B2-4995-9267-DE44C47C4EFB.jpg
    EEE35AA7-C4B2-4995-9267-DE44C47C4EFB.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 275
I had the same happen on my 1150 after I’d done a load of work on it. When I started it up it ran so badly I thought I’d really buggered something up, thankfully though an old post one here pointed the way - I’d never have found it!

My R75/7 did the same, burst to life first go but lumpy- it was corrosion at the coil end of one plug lead.
Was a bit flat in the low range too - cured by blasting carb cleaner through the small jet / hole on the left below the main intake until it came out of the two pinpricks just behind the throttle butterfly.
Hole on the RHS should exit freely round the needle jet, it usually does, but----!

Back
Top Bottom