Newbie needing GS advice

'How's She Goin'??

Reaction score
Hi folks

I'm new to the forum, and new to the GS bikes.

Been riding Jap bikes for 25odd years, and had a brief (6month) encounter with a Versys 1k - I hated it...

So - just started looking at the GS range a couple of weeks ago. It all started when an 03 1150GS popped up on FB at £3.3k and it caught my eye.

Fast forward, and I've seen a few more and I started looking seriously. My budget appears to land around the last of the oil cooled / start of LC and I'm ideally looking for heated grips and cruise control.

There appears to be an underlying opinion that the 2013 LC isn't a good option. I've seen an LC registered late Dec 2013 with 28k, full BMW history, 2yr Motorrad warranty for just shy of £8k, and I've also seen a 2012 Rallye (no cruise control) with similar miles for just over £8k. Both bikes have full BMW luggage.

I've been used to a GSX1400 for 10yrs, so reading between the lines, I may get on better with a pre-LC (if I understand correctly the LS had sharper steering angle).

I also like the idea of having 'normal' suspension as opposed to the fancy (expensive if it goes wrong) electronic kit, but maybe the new stuff is reliable and I shouldn't be worried.

Erm... if you've managed to get to the end of my long winded post, thanks for sticking with it!

I'd appreciate any comments and advice.

Cheers

George

Ignore the naysayers re 2013 lc bikes. Mine's done 47k trouble free miles, other than fair wear and tear. Luddites prefer their air cooled bikes but the lc is a better bike and the 1250 better still.

Regarding the suspension, I've just (had) fitted a reconditioned front unit as mine was leaking slightly. Other than that it's been fault free.

The gs is different to the Japanese bikes you have been riding and takes a bit of adjusting to. Try to get a decent test ride and see if you like it.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom