Top Box Sweet Spot

Schtum

Iconoclast
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of top boxes. That's particularly true when they're hung out on the back of the bike outside the wheelbase where they compromise handling.

However, when I bought my LC I specced the full kit of three boxes. Having done that, I decided that if I'd gone to the expense of getting a top box, I might as well use it.
I therefore bought the BMW Luggage Plate which fits in place of the pillion seat and enables the Vario top box to be clipped on immediately behind the rider's seat. For the last
few years, whenever I've needed some luggage capacity, I've lugged the Vario box around on it.

Aesthetically it's a bit of disaster, although that's not my primary concern. A couple of recent trips since I had the full Akrapovič system fitted revealed that the box overhanging the side of
the bike somehow collected and amplified the exhaust note to the extent that I was concerned about how anti-social it might be. The can is the Euro 3 one but it still has the baffles in.

When I'd originally fitted the luggage plate, I'd considered fitting a smaller BMW top box to it but a trip into my local, friendly Motorrad dealership revealed nothing that would fit onto the plate.
A 30L box appeared for sale on here last week and the seller correctly assured me that it would fit as not only did he fit it to the rack on his LC but he also had the Luggage Plate and the box would
fit onto that. It arrived via Parcelfarce this morning. It fits, it works, it'll hold my Tour-X. It even manages to look a bit more aesthetically pleasing.

Many thanks to autogs for the good deal...:thumby:

Attachments

• IMG_4665.jpg
    IMG_4665.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 585
Not sure it look better than a vario. Maybe just less bad :bounce1:bounce1:bounce1

Half full and half empty are merely different descriptions of the same thing....

Attachments

• 1956976_10152312245523398_205490574_o.jpg
    1956976_10152312245523398_205490574_o.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 550
What worry me with box so close, in crash spine snap easy.

Don't worry about accidents, hit car who doesn't see you at 60 mph, dead, who care where you top box was fitted. If you are worried about crashing then give up bikes.
I think that putting the top box on the passenger seat is great, moves the weight nearer to where is should be.

Don't worry about accidents, hit car who doesn't see you at 60 mph, dead, who care where you top box was fitted. If you are worried about crashing then give up bikes.
I think that putting the top box on the passenger seat is great, moves the weight nearer to where is should be.

Thank you but have had 3 very good crashes, no topcase to close to hurt more, airbag works good, and still enjoy riding.

True but I not say it is bad just it is very big, look at Police bike they have also but half size so they can release from bike.

They have half the size because they don't need any bigger.

Looks good

I like the look better than my Vario,

could you post a better photo more of the box than bike?
What model is it?

Thanks Nick

Back
Top Bottom