1200GS LC Cruise Control problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rascal

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm after some of your expert advice direction re my cruise control.

Over the last few months it's been pretty intermittent to the point it worked on some rides and not at all on others. Now its just not coming on at all.

It lights up on starting the bike as do all the other functions, but will not the come on when I push the cruise control button over. I've tried some electrostatic lube to no avail and a small skoosh of WD40, again no joy.

Kinda hoping there is a fix as BMW are quoting around £340 for a new switch, the whole left hand switch unit. Part no 61318549925

I had planned to ride it down to Oxford from Moray in the NE of Scotland at the start of next month and the CC would have been pretty handy.

Thanks for any useful advice on this issue folks :thumb29

Ill start gentle ;)

What model TE TU what year

All of the above makes it easier to diagnose and identify if its known issues :)

Does the bike have a warranty or extended warranty>

Unless you experienced with fixing electronics at component level, replacement switch cluster may be your only option

Ebay , Sherlocks OR motorworks may be able source SH items , but thats where knowing your model and model year comes in handy ;)

and if you can, consider an extended warranty

If your desperate for cruise, you can get throttle lever bar type or the locking end weight type

not as swish as the electronic version, but more than adequate

Thanks for being gentle, appreciated.

Its a 15 plate (March) and is the TE model, and no extended warranty. I'll certainly look into it though.

Thanks ��

I know that this probably won't apply but I remember when I had my GS, I was riding it once and the CC would not work. It previously had worked perfectly so could not understand why. After mucking about while riding it, I noticed that it was in Enduro mode. Switched back to Road mode and yes, the CC worked again.

It was probably contained in the manual somewhere but CC does not work in Enduro mode or at least it didn't on my 2013 bike. Obvious when you think about it.

Rascal,
Had the same problem with my 2014 TE. Traced the problem to the cheap Chinese micro switch located under the clutch lever. If I remember correctly a new one cost @£30 from my local dealer. Easy to replace just be careful the small screw which holds it in place doesn't go missing if you replace the switch. Also check to see the micro switch is firmly held in place by the same small screw. If there's any play the switch won't activate properly to initiate the cruise control. Hope this helps.

Stevey B

Thanks for the reply.

To confirm the bike is not in enduro mode. This said I will try and switch modes to see if it works in rain or road mode. Iusaul have it dyno!

Rascal,
Had the same problem with my 2014 TE. Traced the problem to the cheap Chinese micro switch located under the clutch lever. If I remember correctly a new one cost @£30 from my local dealer. Easy to replace just be careful the small screw which holds it in place doesn't go missing if you replace the switch. Also check to see the micro switch is firmly held in place by the same small screw. If there's any play the switch won't activate properly to initiate the cruise control. Hope this helps.

Stevey B

Hi Stevey,

This sounds like it could be the issue, by chance you wouldn't have the part number?

Many thanks, £30 quid sounds better than replacing the whole switch unit, especially when everything else works fine.

I didn't think the extended warranty covered switches?

Not sure tbh, i started looking last night, but these only seemed to cover cars. One or two accept my reg but allude to car parts so if I go down this route, I'll need to investigate further.

Certainly sounds like the clutch switch. BTW, try to avoid using standard WD40 on delicate electrical contacts or locks come to that, as it leave an undesirable residue.

When mine played up I dropped it off, gave it a good dose of contact cleaner, exercised the switch thoroughly & checked it out with a meter before reinstalling - that was over 2 years ago & it still works OK.

Rascal
Motorworks have the Clutch microswitch for cruise control for £58. Give your local dealer a ring to compare.
All the best

Stevey B

Sounds like the best option. Was it easy enough to do? I ask as I'm bit of a biff when it comes to this techy stuff.

Thanks Stevey

Certainly sounds like the clutch switch. BTW, try to avoid using standard WD40 on delicate electrical contacts or locks come to that, as it leave an undesirable residue.

When mine played up I dropped it off, gave it a good dose of contact cleaner, exercised the switch thoroughly & checked it out with a meter before reinstalling - that was over 2 years ago & it still works OK.

Point taken squibb34. I'm learning lots from this thread.

cheers all

The warranty will cover all parts of your bike

I thought the AUB warranty did, but the insurance backed warranty didn't - happy to be corrected though.

Suspension is limited to 30k miles, on insurance BMW warranty.

The OP doesn't appear to have an AUB warranty.

Sounds like the best option. Was it easy enough to do? I ask as I'm bit of a biff when it comes to this techy stuff.

Thanks Stevey

Or a second hand one at £25 from the same site.

Or a second hand one at £25 from the same site.

Had the clutch microswitch off today, gave it a good clean out and refitted. Checked the function, switch the cruise control to on and hold the set button, still no cruise control light. It may now appear that the switch is goosed.

Is the lh switch unit the same on on the RT and SR!? I ask as they look the same.

Is changeing the lh switch unit easy to do?

Lots of questions folks, but I do appeciate your time and answers.

Thanks again

Had the clutch microswitch off today, gave it a good clean out and refitted. Checked the function, switch the cruise control to on and hold the set button, still no cruise control light. It may now appear that the switch is goosed.

Is the lh switch unit the same on on the RT and SR!? I ask as they look the same.

Is changeing the lh switch unit easy to do?

Lots of questions folks, but I do appeciate your time and answers.

Thanks again

Well, today all is well with the cruise control. I tnink between the lube and cleaning the clutch microswitch, we're all good again. Gave the bike a couple of hours out testing constan5ly the cruise control, stopped few times, turned off and the start set cruise with.no further issues.

I'll err onthe side of caution though and leave the cruise control in the on position, as advised on some other wesites.

Thanks to yku all for your contributions, massively appreciated.

Happy biking and stay safe

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom