E10 fuel on TC GS1200

mpgscott

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So heard an advert on the radio today about the introduction of E10 fuel. Anyone know when this is and if we need to do anything with the bikes to live with the change?

I read another forum post from back in 2015 where a few owners on trips through Germany mentioned that their GS ran rough anyone else experienced this?

Cheers
Mark

They have been using E10 for quite a long time in USA ,, on the trips that SGT Bilco of this parish organises to America I have not heard of any problems with the bikes many TC,s on them .
Only issue is they are difficult to start when they have been lying around for many weeks , that could be got around by a bit of additive .:thumb2

Use Super unleaded, which is remaining E5. The bike will run better & mpg will improve covering the additional cost ( at least it did on my 2012 R1200GSA).

BMW motorcycles (all types, regardless of year of manufacture)
BMW Motorrad has no objection to the use of SI-engine fuels containing up to a maximum
of 10% ethanol and imposes no warranty restrictions.
Ethanol admixtures in proportions higher than 10% can have an adverse effect on performance
and can result in damage to components that come into contact with fuel. No
warranty claims whatsoever for damage caused in this way will be accepted.

I wouldn't use that shit though. Even the GSA Tractor likes to run on Super :)

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/e10-petrol-explained#availability
All Nth Wales just gone E10 so I'm now forced to pay more of my ££££'s and more tax to the nice people from the government to even run my lawnmower never mind my classic bikes. Just wait until they hit us with the new carbon rich taxes coming soon. We weren't asked if we wanted to go green and we sure haven't been told how much we are all going to pay for it.

the TC is supposed to run super unleaded - read the manual

95 octane with reduced performance and economy....
E10 runs like a dog

I believe that Esso super has no ethanol in it. Does cost a bit though, I use it in my old T140.

They didn’t have ethanol in any of their petrol, even the old 95, in most parts of the country. They may have had to change that with E10 being a Govt thing.

I believe that Esso super has no ethanol in it. Does cost a bit though, I use it in my old T140.

Not in Devon, Cornwall, Nth Wales and Northern England due to supply reasons??!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

an American perspective about ethanol in petrol - note they use the USA AKI ratings when talking about octane levels in the fuel and explain why they don't like our RON system.
https://www.motorcycle.com/features/everything-you-need-to-know-about-motorcycle-fuel.html

^^^^^THIS!

Great article - had not known most of what that guy had to say about what the numbers mean. Thanks for sharing.

FWIW, here in California it’s hard to find anything better than 91 Octane (R+M/2) E10, so that’s what we all run. My tc runs just fine on it. In other states we can sometimes score non-E10 93 Octane, which is traditionally what ‘premium’ or ‘super’ is here. It does deliver a noticeable increase in mileage, but I can’t really say I notice any difference in power.

Curious that they’d start running E10 over there, though. We have it here because the Fed pays farmers to grow more corn than is needed for food. The farmers are happy to snag the subsidy and sell the corn to whoever it is that distills it into ethanol, which finds its way to the petrol makers and into my gas tank. As a result, when you drive across the central plains you see nothing but corn for miles. I didn’t think you guys have that same level of industrial corn production over there.

^^^^^THIS!

Great article - had not known most of what that guy had to say about what the numbers mean. Thanks for sharing.

FWIW, here in California it’s hard to find anything better than 91 Octane (R+M/2) E10, so that’s what we all run. My tc runs just fine on it. In other states we can sometimes score non-E10 93 Octane, which is traditionally what ‘premium’ or ‘super’ is here. It does deliver a noticeable increase in mileage, but I can’t really say I notice any difference in power.

Curious that they’d start running E10 over there, though. We have it here because the Fed pays farmers to grow more corn than is needed for food. The farmers are happy to snag the subsidy and sell the corn to whoever it is that distills it into ethanol, which finds its way to the petrol makers and into my gas tank. As a result, when you drive across the central plains you see nothing but corn for miles. I didn’t think you guys have that same level of industrial corn production over there.

in the UK we grow sugar beet and maize (corn) with the latter being a massive crop in France. We also grow a lot of seed crops in Europe, with linseed or what you call canola to make bio diesel. However, I imagine the biggest source of starch for converting to alcohol remains as it has always been in Europe, barley. We have mastered getting massive yields from monocultures of barley to make various alcoholic beverages so it's just an extension of existing practices, much the same as you have with corn.

the petro-chemical bods were diversifying into sugar (shame they got that wrong!!!) but governments are banning that coz it kills people, so they pretend we need the junk in the petrol to use it up - after all it uses their crops up and its a cheaper way to up the octane rating rather than using costly additives

with the additional benefit that it kills off vehicles so their crooked mates can sell more vehicles in to the bargain

821f788ab11aa160af1bff7f2eacaa39.jpg

Back
Top Bottom