Back Again

davnjud

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So my gs journey has gone new 2010gs tc ( sold for pan 1300 in 2012) new 2013 gsa tc ( sold for triumph trophy in 2014 ) 1100gs with carb conversion bought 2016 still owned and loved now 70 k miles, 2012 gs rallye 13 k miles just purchased.

I tried riding demonstrator 1200lc and 1250lc,s but couldn’t get on with the fly by wire throttle. Nice and fast and smooth but when I got back on my 1100 worth 1/5 the value It felt like returning home to that unique solid , grunty in the bike gs feel and I couldn’t justify the expense even though I could afford it. Still ride a 1200lc rt blood bike and it fair whistles along when wound up but first 30 % of Rev range is a bit meh..

Those tc rallies look just so cool and when a low mileage one came up I couldn’t resist. Compared with the trusty 1100 it’s lighter, nimbler, faster, better brakes and ABS. But with a conventional throttle it still maintains the gs character, everlasting grunt, comfort and cornering prowess. Even though my 1100 has ohlins the ride on the ESA Rallye is way plusher. I’m keeping the 1100 as a trusty all weather bike but the Rallye is staying near mint, my pampered sweet mistress.

Whether it’s just that it varies from engine to engine or the effect of the different weight and gearing my new bike is so much smoother in 20/30/40 mph limits than my GSA was pre hilltop remap. I just don’t feel the need to go that trouble and expense on the Rallye - it’s perfectly happy trundling on small throttle at 20 mph in 3rd gear.

I have enjoyed having a Pan st 1100 and Ducati ST4s to run alongside my 1100Gs so that the full complement of touring, sports and adventure riding position were covered. The Rallye is so good all round that I’ll probably, unexpectedly,be selling the pan and Ducati which will recoup most of the cost the Rallye:thumb2.

Ok so I’ll say it. I reckon the Twin cam is the pinnacle of the original authentic grunty seat of your pants quick handling GS experience. The LCs have gained slick high revving performance, complicated technology, environmental kudos but something of the genius of GS that has transformed biking in last twenty years has been lost Low mileage minter Tcs are a diminishing breed but I’m very happy to own one.. again.

Good to hear that . i own a single cam gs and so far have not wanted to change the bike for the last 6 years of ownership.

I have tried to ditch my 2008 GSA many times but nothing gives me that same sturdy vibrating tank-like feel :)

Back
Top Bottom