Interceptor, will I find it a bit gutless?

Greenman14

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m here because I did have a GS, a TC, which I loved but gravity seemed to love it more and I got through rather a lot of cylinder head protectors. So I traded it for a Tracer 900, lighter, a bit more powerful, similar seat and screen issues as the GS and quite a lot less character- whatever that is, except you just know when a bike hasn’t got it for you.

So I’m thinking an Interceptor might suit me but clearly a lot less power than any bike I’ve owned or ridden in the last 25 years. However, I don’t thrash the nuts off the Tracer and it’s front wheel only leaves the road for tyre changes.

I’m also a committed farkler and the idea of a cheap bike that I can improve with suspension mods, exhausts and air filters etc quite appeals. I do value ride and handling.

Any opinions? As if!

I've never ridden one, but they certainly look good. A mate of mine bought one earlier this year, six weeks later he swapped it for a mint used water cooled Bonneville T100, which he reckons is a far nicer bike.

Horses for courses at the end of the day.

I've ridden one, nearly bought it but decided not to.

I think you'll enjoy it and no I don't think you'll find it gutless, for the money they are excellent.

They are a decent bike in the bargain basement - maybe not my cup of tea, but it's a good effort from RE. Only an extended test ride will inform you in reality though.

Have you tried an F900XR?

I’m here because I did have a GS, a TC, which I loved but gravity seemed to love it more and I got through rather a lot of cylinder head protectors. So I traded it for a Tracer 900, lighter, a bit more powerful, similar seat and screen issues as the GS and quite a lot less character- whatever that is, except you just know when a bike hasn’t got it for you.

So I’m thinking an Interceptor might suit me but clearly a lot less power than any bike I’ve owned or ridden in the last 25 years. However, I don’t thrash the nuts off the Tracer and it’s front wheel only leaves the road for tyre changes.

I’m also a committed farkler and the idea of a cheap bike that I can improve with suspension mods, exhausts and air filters etc quite appeals. I do value ride and handling.

Any opinions? As if!
They are quite simply excellent machines for the money..... not gutless in the least and handle better than bikes twice the cost ( I know this because I've had them)
As you have already picked up on, they can be set up exactly how you may like with loads of options available to you and at very reasonable cost as well. I've got a couple of bikes and this has been my summer favourite.... ride one and also the GT650 see what you prefer

Ps. I've just got a new custom seat made (actual seat is pictured), slightly taller, gel inserts and nice red stitching... I have a touring seat as well so a nice wee change when I fancy.
b8b0729f4346ae777bbd7fc0c36a2e48.jpg
d04ca9961001f42c344835f4e9e857ae.jpg

Thanks Jaz, I was thinking upgrade the front fork internals, new rear shocks, new end cans and air filter kit. I’m hoping the bike will trot along at 65-75 on decent single carriageway roads, and 80 (with a small screen) on dual carriageways.

Thanks Jaz, I was thinking upgrade the front fork internals, new rear shocks, new end cans and air filter kit. I’m hoping the bike will trot along at 65-75 on decent single carriageway roads, and 80 (with a small screen) on dual carriageways.
Easily capable of those speeds, it will hit a ton but happiest cruising 65-75. The shocks are actually acceptable on the bike, I will consider them next year, YSS front internals and rear shocks are very popular. I have done the filter (DNA high flow kit) and I have Scorpion cans which are excellent with the baffles left in.

Don't get robbed for the "aftermarket " cans. You can get a nice pair of short peashooters for £100 the pair ,easy to fit.

0e51fd201dd8fa7f99b6a0307692af13.jpg

No regrets here in Yorkshire, do it you’ll love it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was out with a lad last week who is a die hard classic fan. He has an interceptor and loves it. He has upgraded the cans to Norman Hyde slip ons. He has fitted a fly screen and fork gaiters. Other than that is stock. The zorst removal removes the cats and sheds about 4 tonnes of weight.

How about a Triumph Speed Twin :nenau

I think you mean Street Twin. The Speed twin is in a different power league to the Enfield. Most people compare the Enfield 650s to the Street Twin. The latest incarnation of the Street Twin puts out more power and is quite nippy when opened up and plenty of farkles for it are available. Only downside of the Street Twin is the low is high seat height which is fine if you’ve got 29 inch inside leg.

I was in a similar position, recent bikes have included Triumph Explorer, BMW R1200GS, and Tiger 900 GT, but I was enjoying riding less and less, so decided a big change would re-enthuse me.

I bought an Interceptor about a month ago for half of what I sold the Tiger for, and I love it.

It's obviously far less power than my previous bikes but it makes it far better suited for todays road conditions, and riding to the bikes limitations means you don't end up constantly risking getting done for speeding, and constantly being frustrated by "slow" speed of other traffic.

It has great handling and plenty of power for overtakes, and is happiest between 50 and 70, but is not suited for very long journeys or motorway travel.

Build quality seems fine, it's very easy to work on yourself, and cheap to service, and a great base for customising to your own style.

Try one and see, you might be surprised. Would also make great second bike if you can have both.

There we have it..... a lot of experienced riders on here with a history of having many bikes gives the Inty a big thumbs up it really is surpringly good and very enjoyable to just ride and chill

PS. I just bought a low miles 2014 Tiger 800 ABS so back up to 3 bikes for now

People do tour on an Interceptor but for me it's a fun day out bike, its great in town as well, such a slick gear box and excellent fueling at low speeds. Tiger for touring, off up the North West Coast next week in fact !!

They are quite simply excellent machines for the money..... not gutless in the least and handle better than bikes twice the cost ( I know this because I've had them)
As you have already picked up on, they can be set up exactly how you may like with loads of options available to you and at very reasonable cost as well. I've got a couple of bikes and this has been my summer favourite.... ride one and also the GT650 see what you prefer

Ps. I've just got a new custom seat made (actual seat is pictured), slightly taller, gel inserts and nice red stitching... I have a touring seat as well so a nice wee change when I fancy.
b8b0729f4346ae777bbd7fc0c36a2e48.jpg
d04ca9961001f42c344835f4e9e857ae.jpg
Chris Bugg at Nostalia Upholstery made me this from my stock seat....

15mm rise, gel inserts, stitched logo etc... fantastic work for £175 including return delivery

Have the GT touring seat as well for a change .
8a286ed71baf9bf1b8bcd0ac866d1816.jpg
98d92bcd4984e7c78c704c161120e886.jpg

Back
Top Bottom