Front disc bolts - to re-use or not re-use

Wizards-Online

Going Overground
Reaction score
I’ve got some replacement (nearly new) front disks that came with washers, bobbins and bolts that were also used. Are these okay, or should I purchase new ones???

I suppose if you cleaned all the old locking solution off the bolts and reapply new stuff shouldn’t be a problem how much are you saving not buying new bolts .

Are the bolts chewed up? Showing signs of stress on the shank? If they look good I would use them again on my bike - but then I don't ride like a loon and rely on brakes very much, just a gentle finish at the lights or junction.

I suppose if you cleaned all the old locking solution off the bolts and reapply new stuff shouldn’t be a problem how much are you saving not buying new bolts .

If I buy new bolts, washers and bobbins it comes to nearly £90 from Motorworks so if it can be avoided. I will have the bolts etc. from my bike too so between them will be able to salvage 10 good sets.

Thanks for the reply.

Not entirely true..
8. All bike manufacturers recommend disc bolts should never be reused. That may be so, but when you’re talking £1.60 per Honda disc bolt and there are 12 of them on the CBR600’s front end, the expense (£19.20) soon adds up. As long as the key-ways are in good nick and the bolts are torqued up tight using them a second time isn’t a problem.

Depends on what bike, but they are M8 bolts on my 1150GS and the manual says……….Nm

So hardly stretched, and besides stretched bolts into an aluminium casting………Nah! Hence the reason for threadlocker medium strength.

Attachments

• A5359D2F-4EA6-4A6F-8F08-9E3840935BD4.jpg
    A5359D2F-4EA6-4A6F-8F08-9E3840935BD4.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 200

Back
Top Bottom