Photo organisers / management

Walowiz

Reaction score
I’ve put this off for years, but the number of digital photos has now got out of hand.

I’ve consolidated them all to the nas, so that’s good. But jaysus Christ they are a mess, from a multitude of data sources, cameras, phone cameras etc. Lots of duplicates too, some have been duplicated just to print judging from the file names !

I’m using windows for this, I know most people use Macs for this, but that’s not an option for now. I’m not interested in cloud storage, I just need a recommendation for software (ideally as a one off purchase, not monthly fee as seems to be popular now)

What would be cool, but I don’t think is possible is to use windows and the nas for storage and management, cataloguing etc. But be able to access the photo library from the iPads and iPhones, this might necessitate a new app which is fine, as I’m guessing I won’t be able to integrate this approach with iPhoto and Apples garden wall.

Any advice fellas ? Other than buy a Mac, as I do have one - but it’s a 2010 iMac and won’t take the latest greatest os.

Ive used Picasa in the past, and it was good.

However like all good programs and apps they get too big forthere boots,and try to evolve into somthing they are not,

So then starts the endless cycle of bloatware, willy waving with other apps to be the best, ( they never are and all you get is pissed off)

and then they start on the Freemium model,

remember the feature you intstalled the app / program for? .. well thats now £xx per month .. and comes with etc etc

I have everything on a nas now,

I create 1 folder per year and in that folder create a folder for every month i take pics, in that month i have a folder for the day i took the pic & the topic/ event

and then i have a sub folder of the RAW pics & the Jpgs

At the end of the year i go back and if i haven't used the pic in the last year i delete the raw files

that said, drives are so big and cheap i generally leave as is

Picassa is now google photos. It’s free and works well, but I’m not after cloud backup.

I’ve previously created folders by month, by trip name etc, but that doesn’t really provision for multi tagging photos by all the family, which I think is the only way to go.

Back
Top Bottom