Your NCB when using a company car.

er-minio

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
On my car insurance policy I do have about 10 years no claim bonus.

Now I do have the option to get a car (one year rental) through work and that comes as a "package" including insurance, so I'd sell my current car and close my insurance contract.
I've looked online and the NCB will lapse after 2 years if you don't have an insurance contract.

As I'm doing some planning/calculation, and considering I don't want to lose my NCB...
Question for people who use similar car schemes: is one generally indicated as the nominated driver for the car, so you keep your NCB with you? My understanding is that these cars are within one massive group policy (fleet management).
Asking here for people that might have had similar experiences, because I don't want to inquire at work, yet, about some of the details.

thanks

Yes, you will lose that NCB after the 2 years and you do not accrue any whilst driving the leased car. You might be on the V5 as the registered keeper for the vehicle so you get parking tickets etc.

Some insurers will accept a letter from your fleet manager as evidence of no claims but this is discretionary on both parties and any percentage offered will vary depending on how desperate they are for customers on that sales period.

Just as an update on this.
I'm doing quotes for my motorbike multi policy renewal.

Just spoke with BikeSure who, in the middle of the process, informed me that there is a non specified claim at my name in 2022.
It took me a while to connect that I actually did bring the car in for body damage repairs (something fell on it from a tree) in 2022 and that was covered by the company insurance. And that has been logged as a claim under my name, that now affects my other insurances quotes. Fair enough.

So – yes – I will talk with the fleet managers as this should then go both ways at this point (if claims are logged, then no claim years should too) :)

I had a company car for 21 years and handed it back in 2018, a quick discussion with a couple of insurers seemed to indicate that providing, I had a letter from my employer stating I hadn’t had any claims under the company insurance then I could get a discount equivalent to the NCB.

This is what happened, funny thing is when it came up for renewal the letter stated I had 9+ years NCB, I queried this with Aviva who told me that was correct…

Might be different now though.

Yep, as Wessie suggested.

I didn't considered claims, but if as above seems fair enough.

Back
Top Bottom