Top box

Scotsrick

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Excuse yet another top box thread.

I’m looking for a top box for my 2017 1200.

I can get a BMW one for just under £400.

In my never ending quest to be tight what are the other options?

There are various combinations on eBay but are there cheaper alternatives but with decent quality?

Is the Givi trekker a viable alternative?

I have to Givi Trekker 52 Ltr top box fitted to my 1250 gs.
It looks better than the Vario top box and holds more.
This one holds two full face helmets. Givi do the fitting rack which fits directly onto the standard gs rack

I may be selling my Vario with backrest, etc soon as hardly use the GS now and when I do its not with the top box on anyway.
Brand new base for the rack will go with it as the 1250 didn't have it so had to pay for that over the top.

I have to Givi Trekker 52 Ltr top box fitted to my 1250 gs.
It looks better than the Vario top box and holds more.
This one holds two full face helmets. Givi do the fitting rack which fits directly onto the standard gs rack

Same here, Givi Trekker 52, been using the same box for the last couple of bikes, as said it holds 2 full face lids with intercoms on :thumb2

To me a top box is a bit like a pair of socks. I have a BMW pair of very expensive socks that were bought as a gift, but they are nothing more than a foot boot interface. There are thousands of different top boxes out there and every one will come with a plate to fit it to a BMW rack in some way. The difficult decisions to make are: What do you want it to look like and how big do you want it to be.

I’ve just ordered a shad plate to go with my 58x carbon topbox which is brilliant, it has 3 space settings, the middle setting takes 2 helmets and I’ve never needed to use the top one, but I’d say you’d get a jacket in too! This’ll be the 4th bike I’ve had it on and will take off the v47 that came with the bike, to put it back on again when it comes time to sell, the Shad will then move to its 5th bike!

I’ve just bought a BMW box from a member at a good price so that will do for now.

If I ever need bigger then I’ll look again.

I’ve been using a Givi V47 for years now. I’ve had the Givi Trekker previously, but it used to leak. The V47 is totally waterproof, relatively light and the aluminium cover kind of matches the Vario panniers.

Attachments

• 886F6599-AC3C-4142-9BE3-6051AB2341E8.jpg
    886F6599-AC3C-4142-9BE3-6051AB2341E8.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 300
I may be selling my Vario with backrest, etc soon as hardly use the GS now and when I do its not with the top box on anyway.
Brand new base for the rack will go with it as the 1250 didn't have it so had to pay for that over the top.

You have PM..

One small drawback I can see with the BMW box is that it’s going to be too small for the 2 of us for even a weekend away. It’s fine for it’s primary use which is for the wife to lean against and hold a flask and sandwiches.

Last break I had I used the Sprint top box @ 55 litres and that was rammed full.

I’m not buying panniers for use a couple of times a year so is it possible to just bungee a soft bag to the BMW box? I can’t see why not but maybe someone has experience of this? Is there something suitable I can buy to do the job?

Back
Top Bottom