New to BMW

Klinkerhof

Reaction score
Hi all
Thought I would join you all and treated myself to a year old GS, after trading in my 8 year old Crosstourer. First time with boxer twin and with BMW, very pleased so far.
Looking forward to getting loaded up and on my travels.

Welcome to the group, like you, I traded in my Crosstourer for a 2016 GS1200 three years ago, also being my first BMW. Very happy with the move, but after a year traded in for my 1250GSA.

Welcome

I would be interested how you found the change..
I.e.: Crossdresser to GS

I have fancied a Crossover for a while now but have been put off by the mpg, I travel mostly 2 up with loads of luggage.
I have heard the engine is a peech and loads of torque but the bike is heavy.

Cheers for any help..

Wb

I had the Crosstourer for 8 years and 60k miles, never missed a beat. It was DCT version with full luggage.
Reliability was 100% and still looked like new after 8 years. The engine was its strong point, absolute stonker from low down the revs it would launch you very quick into losing your licence, the fuelling on a gentle throttle was a bit surging, but I got used to that.
The suspension was quite soft, but I travelled mostly 2 up, so suited the both of us.
Fuel range was 115miles on average, maybe 150 if you rode like granny.
My reason for the change was due to the weight, it’s ok when you start moving, but top heavy when at standstill, especially if you are at traffic lights with pillion on board, and for some reason, Honda designed it with the rider foot pegs just where your legs want to be when stopped.
Enjoying the GS, just changed cockpit din socket to dual usb, nice balanced bike to ride, still heavy but easier as it’s low down weight. Miss the DCT but the gearshift pro just as good when moving. Love the BMW connect app to TFT screen.
Indicating close on 200 miles to a tank 👍

I agree with Klinkerhof regarding the Crosstourer feeling top heavy in slow traffic while at a crawl, also moving around the garage at home. I bought mine to replace a Mk2 Crossrunner so maybe that's part of the reason for noticing the extra weight, even though they say the engine is lighter than the 800's.

Loved the engine, but mine had the manual gearbox and I couldn't get used to what I found to be a big gap between first and second gears. I did a tour of the Alps and Dolomites in 2018 and several times found this gap to be a pain when not sure whether to be in first or second gear. Also found the Footrests to be in completely the wrong position and getting in the way when putting your feet down.

Build quality was great and I wouldn't mind trying another, but it would have to be the DCT version.

The DCT is brilliant, funny enough I used the manual triggers most of the time, something great about hounding into a corner and changing down very quick using the triggers which automatically blip the throttle. Unfortunately the down side is the extra weight the DCT added to an already beefy bike

As your Crosstourer was 8 years old it must have been one of the earliest from about 2013?

I recall that over the years there were several software updates for the DCT system. Was it possible for these to be installed on your bike or did it have run on the original software from 2013?

As your Crosstourer was 8 years old it must have been one of the earliest from about 2013?

I recall that over the years there were several software updates for the DCT system. Was it possible for these to be installed on your bike or did it have run on the original software from 2013?

Don’t believe they were/are upgradable, I had a 2012 model with the first iteration,

great bikes and very competent 2 up tourers, handle surprisingly well in the twisties and I once cruised down an autobahn at 200kmh with full luggage and wifey on the back, the bike was steady as a rock and had plenty left

The only weak point is the suspension, undersprung at the back and oversprung at the front, you can still get them set up well enough though on the standard kit

Mines was a December 2012 model, and I know the more recent versions came with a more refined DCT software but not backwards compatible. The bike only had 1 manufacturer recall in its time, something on drive shaft or drive coupling checked or replaced, can’t remember as it was within the first year.

Back
Top Bottom