Need a new tent

I know its a subject that comes up lots.

I recently sent back 2 Vango Tay 400 tents.

The first one arrived and i erected it in the garden and found 2 holes in it!!
so sent it back

Second one arrived seemed ok, went to Scotland camping and found the stitching around the midge net coming away
after putting the tent up and down 3 or 4 times i noticed all the stitching coming away around where the tent pegs go in on the little tag bits.
so ive sent that back too, and told them not to bother sending another as i have no faith in the brand.

First time I've bought Vango and last.

I have an Outwell family tent that we have had many years and is still like new... no holes rips or crap stitching, but its way too big for bike travel.
on the back of that i looked at Outwell first, but they dont do the kind of tent i need,

Brand new or second hand off ebay, im not too bothered
I'm not really clued up on tent brands, what brands should i be looking at and which do i avoid?
ideally I'm looking at a tent for me and the wife with all our gear, so 3-4 man and easy to put up and pack away.

any recommendations?

Have a look on the tube at these; bags of room for storage or sitting or cooking ; you can stand up to pull yer britches on in the morning; takes 2 with all the gear no problem; light to carry; and packs down well. The kyham brand are also very good; but i like the bit of height for standing in my Wild Country.:beerjug:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210726-110644.jpg
    Screenshot_20210726-110644.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 378
Lone rider moto tent looks ok, but realistically id be wary having a 250kg bike so close in high winds and soggy ground.
Sounds like an accident waiting to happen lol

You don't actually HAVE to put the bike in the tent - and I never have done. But if I did, I would simply put it in there so it would fall outwards rather than inwards. I just use the space as a nice big lounge area. Chair, table, cooker, panniers, wet clothes etc....It's over 2m tall, so you can even stand up and dance around in it if you like.

But if it is pissing down with rain and you wanted to work on the bike in the dry, the option is there.

Yebbut in another decade you’ll make money on it! :thumb2

10 years back I nearly got a Nallo 2 from Taunton Leisure for the sum of £475 delivered.
I don't remember if it included the groundsheet, but it wasn't a GT version for sure.
I just couldn't justify the cost and bought an alternative brand.

Since then I have bought 4 Hilleberg tents, and I am confident I could sell the lot and make a bit of profit.

I had a quick look last night as I was going to recommend a Vaude - but Jeezus, some 2 man models are over a grand now!

In about 2008 I bought a Vaude Taurus 2 for £100 delivered from The Scout Shop in Glasgow, which I sold on eBay a couple of years later for £140, used.

I put the cash toward a Terra Nova Superlight Voyager that came from Uttings for £275. A 1.4kg Semi Geo 2 man for £275 shipped.
Again, a decade on I could recoup the full cost as the Standard Voyager is now £600, and the Ultra Voyager that replaced the Superlight £1800.

I'm glad I filled my boots when I did as I have 9 or 10 (depending on whether you count the Jupiter hooped bivi) cracking tents that will see out my camping days.

Even the one's I no longer use still get put up on a nice day, as to me they bring out the nostalgia of the trips better than any photos ever could.

No intention of moving any on as space and finances not a problem - I just hope they don't get skipped when I peg it.

If you can afford it then anything from Terra Nova or Hilleberg will be a wise investment even if you never sell it :rob

Just make sure you google Terra Nova and not Terry Nova. :D

I’ve got about 11 tents , I say about as I always seem to forget one ,and they are all different to camp in , I loved the previous quote from bod about bringing back the nostalgia,anyway I recently bought 2 hilleberg tents ,the ‘Anaris being the first and then the keron4 gt , the Keron was around £1400 including the footprint,I’d been eyeing one up for about two years , yer know doing the research etc , I do a lot of camping so I thought I’m having one 👍my advice would be to do a little research first , the things you would prefer design wise and so on but don’t put a budget on it ,I expect one will keep popping up then you’ll know 👍👍

There is absolutely nothing to compare with a hilleberg though:)

Have a look on the tube at these; bags of room for storage or sitting or cooking ; you can stand up to pull yer britches on in the morning; takes 2 with all the gear no problem; light to carry; and packs down well. The kyham brand are also very good; but i like the bit of height for standing in my Wild Country.:beerjug:

Good luck trying to find one. rare as rocking horse pooo

Luxe mini peak 2, 1.6kg, loads of space, very easy pitch, great in all conditions, not silly money.

I've just bought an MSR Elixir 3, RRP £330 but from Go Outdoors with the £5 discount card it's £254 approximately. Three man tent, they seem to have a good reputation and reviews. It only weighs 3.2 kg's & easily fits on the GSA. I'm looking forward to my first camping session, hopefully next month.

I've got the Elixir 2.

Fits inside the Mosko Moto pannier nicely. Goes up in about 4 mins - only downside is inner pitch first. It's a VERY VERY sturdy tent in high winds though.

plenty of room for me and some kit. the rest of the kit went in a Lomo drybag in the porch

While we're on it, anyone know of a 2 berth that you can stand up in and has a decent porch should weather necessitate indoor brewing? I see loads of 3 man tents that have this but no 2 man ones? I simply don't need the space of a 3 man tent, nor the facility to put bike in the tent, just want a porch and a stand up area. Ideas?

While we're on it, anyone know of a 2 berth that you can stand up in and has a decent porch should weather necessitate indoor brewing? I see loads of 3 man tents that have this but no 2 man ones? I simply don't need the space of a 3 man tent, nor the facility to put bike in the tent, just want a porch and a stand up area. Ideas?

I hate to say it again, but the Lone Rider Moto Tent will do what you want and is a 2 man tent. You do have the ability to put the bike in the tent porch, but don't need to use it.

It's a great piece of kit.

Kyham biker plus,

not tent is ever too big ;) I got fed up with small tents and doing the snake wriggle in the morning or night trying to get clothes on or off or loads of gear in the way when i'm trying to get settled

I had a look at those tents, i think im on the lookout for either the Khyam biker plus or the Lone Rider Moto Tent.... unless i see something else lol

i will look out for a bargain second hand for now, unless it gets close to camp, i will just buy a new one.

Reasons not to buy a 3 man tent for solo travelling…

Increased pack size and weight.
Inevitably takes longer to pitch.
Colder if camping outside our short summer.
More surface area to dry dew from when packing in the morning.
More surface area to dry if it chucks it down overnight.
Higher purchase price.

Reasons to buy a 3 man tent for solo travelling…

More room to make a cup of tea.

Reasons not to buy a 3 man tent for solo travelling…

Increased pack size and weight.
Inevitably takes longer to pitch.
Colder if camping outside our short summer.
More surface area to dry dew from when packing in the morning.
More surface area to dry if it chucks it down overnight.
Higher purchase price.

Reasons to buy a 3 man tent for solo travelling…

More room to make a cup of tea.

Ability to store all your gear inside wthout it touching the sides of the 2 man tent thus getting everything wet ,

Ability to get dressed standing up, instead of floppign around like a fish trying to get dressed / undressed

Ability to sit in the porch area while it's raining, brew up and watch everyone else sitting in the tiny 2 man tent fully zipped up ..

There are pro's and cons to everything

Back
Top Bottom