Need a new tent

I have the Wild Country Zephyros Compact 2 Tent which is great, light and compact but literally a coffin (although tent, sleeping bag, roll matt, pillow, stove all fit in the top pannier).

I have recently purchased the Kyham biker plus tent from Urban Rider of this forum and must say that it is great - far bigger / heavier but certainly better for luxury and camp sites where you are setting up base for 2/3 nights or longer.

I started with a Hilleberg Soulo, used once but TBH it’s far too small for a 6ft tall, 100 Kg biker. Extremely well made, very nice, but not big enough.

I bought a lone rider adventure and a Tarp from Wapping, very pleased with this setup, but each to their own.

Each to their own and I guess GSers tend not to worry too much about carrying a big tent.

Last Fri and Sat night wild camping in my Soulo and I'm 6ft :beerjug:

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1636407271293.jpg
    FB_IMG_1636407271293.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 386
I’ve also been looking at the various styles and sizes of bivi bags! :D:blast
I really don’t need one.

You really don't need one!

I have various bivi bags ranging from a Rab Survival Zone which I always carry, to a Dutch Army bivi, US Army Modular Sleep System & Terra Nova Jupiter.
I keep stalling at buying a Rab Ridge Master, and have done so for about 5 years now .. so doubt I ever will now.

The simple reason is they are pure misery!

The Akto is a compromise, but at least you get to put your pants on in private, and keep your gear undercover.

Don't waste your money, if you have an itch to scratch, try one of these ....

https://scandinavianoutdoor.com/jac...cjCT0aU22MGAA3UmarK_xzlTpX2yBy6RoC84wQAvD_BwE

... and you'll only have wasted £100. :thumb2

Yes it’s mainly the length of the pole sections which limit how pack-able a tent is on a motorbike … plenty of very light tents still have long pole sections .
Have a look at bike packing tents ( ie designed for bicycle touring ).
Big Agnes do some of these.
Very light and pack up to a loaf of bread size, including the poles.
Not a well known brand in UK but quite well known in USA …

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every extra ferral is another weak spot; i've never had a pole break anywhere other than a joint; and always managedto repair it.

Late to this, but I have never had a problem with those Govan tents ( Yes Vango ) in fact for the money I have found them excellent.
Lots of thumbs ups on here for Kyham which is now owned , incidentally by Vango I believe ? But personally I have found them bulky, awkward and heavy, then also bare in mind that the seams have to be sealed by you ,yes you ( although they do supply the sealant )
I had a Kyham Freelander and the ground sheet impregnated water when compressed against the sleeping mat, the back end also collapsed during a storm and water poured in, also leaving great puddles in the main area.
The Wild Country Etesian 4 also did this according to those that I knew who owned them ( impregnated water under the sleeping mat ) but I have never , repeat never had a Vango leak , impregnate water or collapse me.
Also mice are not that fussy about which tent they chew their way through , Redverz or Lidl special ! No them little dudes aint fussed......
Ps I have to say though that I had a fibreglass pole break on a £49 Alpha 300, but it did not leak.

Have just picked up an MSR Tour Hubba one and its fab. Very light and packs down very small. The poles are in very short sections so it also means it fits into my kayak when I'm away in that too.
Realy quick to put up and the porch is half linned, which is brillaint. Means you can get in with wet boots etc, sit down on something dry and put your gear there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfC1NeD_cn0

Liked it so much I then went out and brought the Tour 2 for when I'm travelling with the other half!

I just bought a Robens boulder 2 tent after lots of research. Small, light and fits in my small dry bag. Just for short quick trips. Cheap as well and nice features like flat pole loops etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom