Best way to repair cosmetic damage on cylinder head cover?

Greybeard

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I suppose it had to happen sooner or later, but I have just managed to drop my R1200 GS (2005) after 16 years of ownership.

A combination of strong coastal winds, an adverse camber, and my stupidity all contributed to the bike going over on its right side onto gravel - luckily I was stationary.

Anyway, as well as denting my pride, and picking up some scratches on the handle bar protector, the RH cylinder head also sustained some cosmetic damage - see photo.

So my question is: what is the cheapest way to reduce the visual impact of the scratches on the head (if that is in fact possible) - for example by filing / grinding the ridges of the scratches flat? I see that Motorworks sell second hand covers for ~£85 which might be another option.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• DSCF7879-mres.JPG
    DSCF7879-mres.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 423
Rocker box covers were never expensive ; I suggest some research because you may be surprised. Cheapest option is put some stickers on it , best option is a new cover at time if sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suppose it had to happen sooner or later, but I have just managed to drop my R1200 GS (2005) after 16 years of ownership.

A combination of strong coastal winds, an adverse camber, and my stupidity all contributed to the bike going over on its right side onto gravel - luckily I was stationary.

Anyway, as well as denting my pride, and picking up some scratches on the handle bar protector, the RH cylinder head also sustained some cosmetic damage - see photo.

So my question is: what is the cheapest way to reduce the visual impact of the scratches on the head (if that is in fact possible) - for example by filing / grinding the ridges of the scratches flat? I see that Motorworks sell second hand covers for ~£85 which might be another option.

Thanks in advance.

I might have a spare RH one If I don't get back to you Give me a reminder in the morning

I bought one off ebay listed as OEM BMW it was clearly not, so some kind of knock off, I have seen comments of them elswhere, the one I had was utter rubbish and unusable, the mateing face was neither flat nor finished, had my money back, just be warned.

I had mine powder coated £15. Did a good job on matching the colour.

CJ Powder Coating in Cleethorpes. Last time I was there he informed me that he was getting properly set-up to be able to match any colour. The gaffer rides a GS so he's got an idea what he's looking at..

I wouldn’t bother repairing or replacing it until you sell it. That way you don’t have worry about scratching it again as it’s already scratched, and when you sell it it’ll be all tickety boo

Wear your battle scar with pride!

Just a battle scar, if anyone asks, it happened when you were escaping from bandits in the deserts of southern Tunisia.

I believe the Merc garage at patchway near bristol have a machine that refurbs scratched plastics,,,,,,,,,,,, if they have one others must have one aswell

HTH

Common sense says follow Steptoe's advice.

However, when I did something similar with one of my bikes a few years back, I couldn't live with the perpetual reminder, although I did hold out for a few months. Every time I went to mount up, the damage shouted at me. Even at the local biker haunts it was inevitable that someone would comment, just in passing, despite detailed application of paint/camouflage.

Back
Top Bottom