navigation combined TDT option?

grantmac

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
apologies if this has already been asked but any ideas when the new BMW Navigation combined with TFT screen will be available on the GS/A?

Ask your dealer, he won't know either.

apologies if this has already been asked but any ideas when the new BMW Navigation combined with TFT screen will be available on the GS/A?

The screen is not large to have a split screen for nav and the other half for info. However I wouldn't be surprised when somebody does a hack. GPS map in the middle with crucial info on the edge.

New 6.5 inch screen comes to 2022 BMW S 1000 RR for racing will it be beginning of what you think :beerjug:

Looking at the new RT, the wide screen do look attractive. However, the navigations part is based on the phone being connected, and if I understand it correctly, it sucks.

Integrated large display is a good idea, and it works in cars. But the first attempt, as launched on the RT, needs a lot of improvement (if I understand the feed back correctly).
However, it does have potential.

To sum it up, I hope BMW does not put the new screen on the GS range bikes before it has been vastly improved.

Looking at the new RT, the wide screen do look attractive. However, the navigations part is based on the phone being connected, and if I understand it correctly, it sucks.

That is the same as the navigation on the present TFT then and it works flawlessly for us.

Integrated large display is a good idea, and it works in cars. But the first attempt, as launched on the RT, needs a lot of improvement (if I understand the feed back correctly).
However, it does have potential.

To sum it up, I hope BMW does not put the new screen on the GS range bikes before it has been vastly improved.

Thanks. After also doing a bit more research I have picked up the same message. In fact the current TFT screen with its basic navigation also seems to work fine.

That is the same as the navigation on the present TFT then and it works flawlessly for us.

Having no experience with either system, I rely strictly on user reports and description of the systems.
From what I understand, the TFT system differ from the TDT system, where the TDT show a map display. And the user feedback is far from all positive.

I've done a 200 trip today using the BMW Connected app and TFT screen. I plotted the route on Google Maps, converted it into a GPX and onto my phone, thence to the Connected app.

I have to report that although it doesn't have the image of a map, as in a 'traditional' satnav, the system worked very well. I feel that I would be confident to use it as my main, or even sole, guide should my Nav V break or become unusable for some other reason. That said, I could also have my iPhone mounted somewhere in view as a back up if need be - I do like the extra info the map view can give.

If you've not tried it yet, give it a go. Recommended

I've done a 200 trip today using the BMW Connected app and TFT screen. I plotted the route on Google Maps, converted it into a GPX and onto my phone, thence to the Connected app.

I have to report that although it doesn't have the image of a map, as in a 'traditional' satnav, the system worked very well. I feel that I would be confident to use it as my main, or even sole, guide should my Nav V break or become unusable for some other reason. That said, I could also have my iPhone mounted somewhere in view as a back up if need be - I do like the extra info the map view can give.

If you've not tried it yet, give it a go. Recommended

But if you feel that you need to to see the whole map or just a more traditional view as well as the TFT, the BMW connected app will do that from the phone if mounted in a cradle as well as the TFT.

But if you feel that you need to to see the whole map or just a more traditional view as well as the TFT, the BMW connected app will do that from the phone if mounted in a cradle as well as the TFT.

Agreed

Back
Top Bottom