Ohlins… worth the upgrade???

Wizards-Online

Going Overground
Reaction score
I have a 2003 GSA with 62K, and I think the original shocks.
It’s an amazing bike, but find the ride a bit ‘jarring’ over bumps in the road and small pot holes. I’ve heard good thing about the Ohlins, but hesitant to spend over grand if the change is only minor.

TIA

I suspect the change will be night and day for you. Your suspension will have slowly degraded over the years and you'll not have noticed much of it....you will be putting just about the best shocks in place of tired worn ones. But don't disregard putting on a pair of 2nd hand Nitron/Wilbers etc....for c£500

If I was buying new, it would be Ohlins for sure. I bagged a bargain set of new/boxed Hyperpros for €220, fitted them 10yrs ago and have just spent £400 having them refurb’d.

I have Ohlins on my 1150. They are an improvement, but not a thousand pounds worth of difference. I bought mine used so only paid a fraction of the new price, if I’d have paid full price I’d have been disappointed. People rave about the vast improvement, but remember you’re likely replacing old knackered shocks so anything will feel like an improvement no matter what make of shock absorber. Emperor’s new clothes and all that ..

but remember you’re likely replacing old knackered shocks so anything will feel like an improvement no matter what make of shock absorber

This is very true.

I have Ohlins under all my bikes, current and past. It is generally the first (and only most times) thing I do to the bikes.
You can have very good results with less expensive brands as well. And most of us won't be able to tell the difference probably between a Nitron or an Ohlins shock. :)

One word of "advice" is: there is some people who prefer the bike with the original setup. Switching the shocks sometimes might make the bike a bit of a "stiffer" ride, and I don't mean over bumps, but as in you'll have to phisically "ride" it more, "push" it a bit more into corners, etc.
Some riders (generally those who ride their bikes like mopeds) might not appreciate this. Maybe just give it a try, if you can, before spending a lot of money on a pair of shocks.

Back in the day it cost me £800 to have new F&R Ohlins fitted to my 1150 - It was a good investment, I spent time setting them up for the way I ride on local roads and bends I knew, it IMO gave me a new bike

When I first serviced the Ohlins on my R1150R, ages ago, I put back the original ones for a week.
I remember going through a particular bend I knew well, pretty fast, but the usual speed I used to keep there... hahah I still remember shitting myself as the bike really didn't like me getting in the corner like that. Mind you those original shocks had 50k km on them, so not in good shape, but that was the moment (that was my first time with aftermarket shocks) when I realised - yes - there is a pretty good difference :D

I have Ohlins on my 1150. They are an improvement, but not a thousand pounds worth of difference. I bought mine used so only paid a fraction of the new price, if I’d have paid full price I’d have been disappointed. People rave about the vast improvement, but remember you’re likely replacing old knackered shocks so anything will feel like an improvement no matter what make of shock absorber. Emperor’s new clothes and all that ..

When my 1150 GS Adv, was pdi'd in April 2005 - the new Ohlins were added (having ridden previously 1150's with and without Ohlins) when the bike was brand new

Still got the bike and the shocks, out on it last night and at 37k............. the evening cross moorland ride was magic carpet, still and the rear has only been serviced once, in 37k

It's important to have the shocks sprung to your correct weight and revalved accordingly - a standard 140nM rear spring is inadequate, out of the Ohlins box

I've had second hand Ohlins on my bike for the past 12/13 years they have been rebuilt twice. You even notice a difference after they have been serviced. Much better ride than my 2014 R1200RT lc with the ESA suspension.....though 3 inches more travel as well!

I had Nitrons fitted at 27000 miles by Darren at MCT. I went in asking for Ohlins and he dissuaded me, he said Nitrons are less prone to fail, in his experience. They are also less expensive. I'm really happy with them.

Ohlins were taken over about two years ago by some Yanks. Typically, the first thing they did was send in a couple of bean counters and cuts were made. Quality has been going down ever since according to my very well informed source. Naturally the prices haven’t been going down with the quality…:augie

I e replaced the rear on mine with a Maxton and on Richard Maxtons advice left the front standard.
The ride is amazing.

Yes I know they are expensive but you get what you pay for and the customer service is excellent

Wilbers are excellent shocks and easy to get serviced. Springs set up for my weight, although I have two springs for the rear - a heavier one for two up with luggage on rough roads. Massively better than standard - never fade and easy to adjust to different loads and road conditions.

I love Ohlins and they are fantastic but in all honesty if it was about upgrading rather than having them come as standard I do believe I would have the Willburs from Revs racing

Much cheaper and very very good - probably as good

Fitted Wilbers to mine after 50,000 miles of bad roads on the originals
Was very happy with them - huge difference
Could not recommend them enough

Back
Top Bottom