Motor needed

Wardy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi gents, looking for another motor, prefer low miles but anything considered. Cheers Steve.

Steve

What's happened to yours, and which bit do you primarily need. I've got one with 10k or so miles but with at least one bent valve due to what I think was a cam chain slip.

Gareth

Gary Randall used to have one, not sure if he still has it or whether he is willing to part with it, but no harm asking.

Gfj....excessive oil consumption. Weirdly doesn't smoke at all uses no water but will use about half litre for 1100km ish. Compression test at just below 6bar and with squirt of oil just over 6bar. It's always used a bit since I've had it. Still runs fine with no rattles. Engine swap seems most economic option.

Ferret...cheers for that will look him up.ta

Still looking guys, will a g650gs/f650, aprilia motor be the same? And or an easy fit? Anyone fitted one?

Still looking guys, will a g650gs/f650, aprilia motor be the same? And or an easy fit? Anyone fitted one?

The centre frame piece which has the rear upper shock support on the XC is bolted to a machined cast mount on the cylinder head , the F650GS and G650GS do not have this mount

Cheers John, knew it wouldn't be straight forward :blast

Hi there packer, if I remember right, compression should be between 8-10 bar. Anything below 7bar needs to be looked at. As said before there's no smoking or leaks. I always understood, smoking on load or accelerating, was rings, and smoking on over run, and when cold was valve stem seals. But she's not smoking at all. Very weird.

Good point. The only probs is carrying oil for longer trips (Morocco) and if I want to sell in the future, and of course peace of mind.

Got to be a motor kicking about somewhere, obviously low mileage, probably in the way in your garage that you have to keep stepping over, etc. Or has the motor fairy been along lol

Hi there packer, if I remember right, compression should be between 8-10 bar. Anything below 7bar needs to be looked at. As said before there's no smoking or leaks. I always understood, smoking on load or accelerating, was rings, and smoking on over run, and when cold was valve stem seals. But she's not smoking at all. Very weird.

Checked your valve clearances recently? The gaps might have closed up as the valve stretches or the seat wears, meaning they won't seat properly.

Are you still running the standard exhaust with cat?

Might also be worth having a look in the air box for signs of heavy breathing (engine oil residue).

Yep checked valves before compression test all within spec, got a scorpion end can, and airbox is as dry as a dry thing. Where's oil going, got to be burnt:nenau as its not leaking, but there's no smoke.

Smoke is unburnt oil, do you have a catalytic converter? I so it must be being burnt in there.

Smoke is unburnt oil, do you have a catalytic converter? I so it must be being burnt in there.

Having fitted an aftermarket exhaust can, he's removed the cat' which is located in the standard can.

Back
Top Bottom