1150GS ABS failure New quizz

B-Maniak

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score

On a 2000 1150GS with 35M, when I turn the key on a strong noise comes from the ABS unit. Upper ABS lights on only. And the bike won't start. Battery is new and ABS unit had a reset by a BMW shop two weeks ago.

Any idea?

Was wondering if the hoses were shot and having parts of them travelling in the unit.

The ABS relay could be fecked/stuck.... The relay lives in the abs unit, under the black plastic cover where the wiring enters. The cover can be slid off after popping the edge with a screwdriver.

Thanks Steptoe, will check that, but how can I see the relay is fecked/stuck?

Pop the relay cover off and see if the two points are stuck/arced together, and check if they open and close when ignition is turned on and off.

Take it out and check it

There is a circuit to draw in the solenoid and bridge the power circuit

terminal 85 and 86 are usually the solenoid circuit

terminal 30 is usually the Main power supply (12 volt Positive) and the 87 is the power out

I cannot remember if those are exactly the correct numbers for that relay but the principle is the same

Check between the connections of the two circuits for continuity,

There should be an Open or NOT connected circuit between 30 and 87 unless the relay is powered If you have a connection then the relay connection has welded together or the solenoid has jammed in the connected position

and there should always be a closed or connect connection on the trigger circuit

on my 2005 R1150R the ABS relay is right next to the lighting relay - the relays are identical. Both blue in colour. Take the lighting relay and swap for the ABS relay - see if that makes a diffference.

on my 2005 R1150R the ABS relay is right next to the lighting relay - the relays are identical. Both blue in colour. Take the lighting relay and swap for the ABS relay - see if that makes a diffference.

Earlier 1150GS with ABS 2 the relays are different !!! ABS is 3 small pins and one large and the Black relays are tow large and two small pins!!!

Completely different unit to your abs/servo unit.

Before I break everything, is the relay coming, like a lot, by just pulling on it?

Image1.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Or do we have another BMW's special trick and we need to unscrew some wires?

Feeding it with 12V between 85 and 86 makes it work. And lights a bulb connected to 87.

So ignition on, same noise. Tried to press, several times, ABS button on handlebar, no change.

Opened rear circuit on ABS unit, no brake fluid spraying out.

Opened front circuit, real dark liquid came out. Opened the master cylinder, dark liquid.

Looks like previous owner never changed it :D

Which is the good German company to send it to?

Before spending £££s you could try flushing all the circuits out with new fluid and checking the little filters built into the unit are clear (thread on here somewhere refers to latter point)

Good point thanks. I've already got new hoses too. I'll first change those, then check what you said and flush it all to see what happens.

You're right, thanks for watching the video again .

Still having the same issue, noisy ABS when turning ignition key on. Changed hoses, blew air into the two brake pipes which were disconnected of course, those connecting on the ABS unit. Still same noise. Disconnected both stop light switches (you never know with those bikes :) Still same noise. Front and rear brake levers are freely and completely coming back.

Wondering what is it that causes the ABS system to activate when the bike is not running?

Tried to unscrew and pull out the ABS wheel sensors because they were under 0,40, without success.

I found that when I screw the line to the front brakes on the ABS unit, the noise returns.

Any idea?

Back
Top Bottom