R1250GS Current Draw

Memphomaniac

Reaction score
I need to know the stock R1250GS bike's electrical system current draw needed to keep the bike and stock accessories powered. I plan to add some high current draw devices to the bike, and I need to know how much current (amps) the bike is presently using. I know the bike comes with a 510W alternator, which at 14V, results in ~36A. I am planning to add 2 13A draw devices (26A total), each connected through PDM60 15A feed circuits, but I need to know how much of the 36A the bike uses before I add these devices. Using 26A only leaves 10A for the rest of the bike.

Does anyone know of a way to measure total current draw? I have a GS911, but I don't think it has a sensor for electrical system amps. I have access to a clip-on current meter, but I would need access to the positive wire leaving the alternator in order for that to work. I just don't want to overload the bike's electrical system and end up with the badness that could result.

Just fit a voltmeter to the bike. As long as you are seeing a voltage higher than the battery with everything running then the system is coping.

Back
Top Bottom