2019 1250GS 11k miles clutch and quick shifter

madasadad

Reaction score
I ve had by 1250 about 10 days now and have a couple of queries...
My clutch bites right at the end of its travel, my mate who has a 1250RS took it a run last night and first thing he said was what's with the clutch! what would be a reasonable distance to expect out of a 'normal' road ridden bike. I bought from a non franchise dealer so although theres BMW warranty until Jan 22, the dealer has provided 12 months (to July 22)
My quick shifter seems to need excessive pressure on upshifts and downshifts is just a lucky dip if they happen. The sweet spot for downshifts seems to be in the 3-4k rev range.
I made the mistake of riding my mates 1250RS and although only 2500 miles on it, clutch bites well with a bit of lever travel after engagement and the quick shifter is super smooth up/down/ whenever
Is it just my bike is getting on a bit and its what i should expect?
In retrospect, the issue from buying from a Ducati dealer is he doesn't know GS's and therefore he has no answers to my queries other than, I know a few guys with them, ill ask them!

Roll off gas when downshift and hit gas when upshift works better

The clutches don’t have a lot of travel at the bite point, adjust the lever to your hand span and you’ll get used to it

For the quick shifter, they don’t like partial throttle, you need to be on the gas for up changes and on a closed throttle for down changes,

They’re also pretty stiff, sounds daft but you’ll find gear changes better if you’re wearing boots which give you less sensitivity, if you’re too gentle you can cut the gas without changing gear which is pretty unpleasant

If there is BMW warranty Contact BMW !!

Get it looked at ASAP and arrange with them as it is BMW warranty for a replacement bike if possible

Mark the Manager is a great lad and has been with them since 2003 ish when I worked there

He has been very good for the franchise after that last penny pinching dick!

Spoke with Mark yesterday, although was looking at a new RS, im very fickle when it comes to bikes!
I actually find the downshifts sometimes works better with a slightly open throttle! The amount of pressure required also varies significantly from v smooth to give up and use the clutch!
Im thinking maybe a trip to BMW for a check over, although its on 11k and service due at 15k where I would get the valves checked and get the end of warranty check all rolled in to one.

Makes sense you never know what is going on with the clutch if it is so sharp and the last thing you want is a burned out clutch

That is an expensive problem

Makes sense you never know what is going on with the clutch if it is so sharp and the last thing you want is a burned out clutch

Thats what Im thinking!
I appreciate its a "how long is a piece of string" question, but how long should a clutch last, id have though 30k minimum with normal use

Thats what Im thinking!
I appreciate its a "how long is a piece of string" question, but how long should a clutch last, id have though 30k minimum with normal use

Thats what Im thinking!

It may be an actuator problem rather than a worn clutch

I have seen some with over 100K on them and still original Mostly weekenders and away to rallies and doing the photopoint rallies etc etc

and RT's that were used for commuting needing changed at 35 to 40

Book a day that suits you and sort a loan bike (test ride for a couple of hours while they do the work )

The quickshifter seems to be a gimmick to me. 2021 GSA and first time owning a bike with QS... can't see the point of it so don't use it. Using the clutch yields a smoother gear change and is probably kinder on the gears in the long term.

The clutch... adjusted my clutch as close to the grip as possible; seemed to help. My bike isn't confidence inspiring pulling away from stop on an incline with a pillion and luggage, almost as though there's very little torque. Going East to West over the Applecross earlier this month proved interesting as the revs at clutch bite seem to get alarmingly soaked up from a stopped situation. Would have enjoyed the experience more on my V Strom 1000.

That just about explains how I feel about the clutch!
I rode my friends 2500 mile RS and the QS is creamy smooth and clutch plenty of feel.

Have a new 1250. Clutch activation very much influenced by span adjustment. As above really notice on a steep hill start.

Gear assist works by holding throttle open on up shifts and should be really smooth. Down changes need to suit engine speed with no throttle and should just be able to click down if using correctly.

Barry

Agree about the clutch. As with the Hayes brakes (a downgrade), doesn't have the progressive feel of the 1200 - two areas in which the 1200 is disappointingly better (a third being that the 1200 is less tingly vibey). I think the gearshifter works better with the 1250 twin cam however.

Back
Top Bottom