Machine Art Avant front mudguard extender on 1250GSA with BMW Enduro Engine Guard?

BobJ

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have Machine Art's Avant front mudguard extender on my 21 plate 1250GSA.

I am considering purchasing the BMW accessory part Enduro Engine Guard. From Machine Art's website I know there is the potential for some fouling issues combining the two on the Adventure. In fact it specifically says that Part No. 77148533747 fitted to the 2019-2021 Adventure is not compatible with their product.

The confusing bit is that that part number is for the Enduro Guard for the 1200GSA LC (K51 09/12 - 07/18). It is shaped thus:

i-jTt2RDn-M.png

As you can see, the leading edge that would potentially foul the Avant goes straight across.

The correct part number for the Enduro Guard for the 1250GSA is actually 77148405391 (plain aluminium version - the black one has a different part number). It is shaped thus:

i-vfHGZhR-M.png

Here, the leading edge is more curved towards the engine casing potentially providing more clearance with the Avant.

I've e-mailed MachineArt Moto and got a fairly non-committal e-mail in return stating that they have no knowledge of combining the two but there is a possibility that the two might work together because of the more curved front end of the engine guard.

I know there are are engine guards that will fit - Wunderlich, Touratech etc. but if possible I'd like the BMW one. Has anyone actually got the revised Enduro Guard fitted with the Avant mudguard extender? Any pictures please of the clearance between the two. Many thanks in advance.

I keep thinking of trying to fit one of these, but I always hold off due to it maybe not fitting with the avant. Watching with interest

I may be wrong but i'm pretty sure the Enduro Guard won't fit with the fender (or vicky vercky)... They will foul on each other, Blues N Twos on here had this exact issue and had to remove the fender extender..

I may be wrong but i'm pretty sure the Enduro Guard won't fit with the fender (or vicky vercky)... They will foul on each other, Blues N Twos on here had this exact issue and had to remove the fender extender..

Agree - that would appear to be the case with the straight front version for the 1200 GSA (W) but I’m trying to ascertain whether the more curved leading edge of the newer BMW guard for the 1250 GSA is actually compatible. If it’s a choice between the Avant mudguard extender or the Enduro Engine Guard then I’ll stick with the mudguard extender.

Agree - that would appear to be the case with the straight front version for the 1200 GSA (W) but I’m trying to ascertain whether the more curved leading edge of the newer BMW guard for the 1250 GSA is actually compatible. If it’s a choice between the Avant mudguard extender or the Enduro Engine Guard then I’ll stick with the mudguard extender.

Should have clarified, Blues N Twos has a 1250 GSA and prior to that a 1200 GSA, same issue with both..

Ah! Okay - bugger! Thank you anyway.

I have Machine Art's Avant front mudguard extender on my 21 plate 1250GSA.

I am considering purchasing the BMW accessory part Enduro Engine Guard. From Machine Art's website I know there is the potential for some fouling issues combining the two on the Adventure. In fact it specifically says that Part No. 77148533747 fitted to the 2019-2021 Adventure is not compatible with their product.

The confusing bit is that that part number is for the Enduro Guard for the 1200GSA LC (K51 09/12 - 07/18). It is shaped thus:

i-jTt2RDn-M.png

As you can see, the leading edge that would potentially foul the Avant goes straight across.

The correct part number for the Enduro Guard for the 1250GSA is actually 77148405391 (plain aluminium version - the black one has a different part number). It is shaped thus:

i-vfHGZhR-M.png

Here, the leading edge is more curved towards the engine casing potentially providing more clearance with the Avant.

I've e-mailed MachineArt Moto and got a fairly non-committal e-mail in return stating that they have no knowledge of combining the two but there is a possibility that the two might work together because of the more curved front end of the engine guard.

I know there are are engine guards that will fit - Wunderlich, Touratech etc. but if possible I'd like the BMW one. Has anyone actually got the revised Enduro Guard fitted with the Avant mudguard extender? Any pictures please of the clearance between the two. Many thanks in advance.

Did you ever try to fit one of these ?

The solution is very simple.

Install both units according to manual.
You will then see that the mud guard will touch the protection plate.

Bring out your heat gun. Warming up the mudguard will then make it possible to bend it forward enough to where it will clear the plate.
I've done it on my 1250, and no issues...

rossi46 said:
Did you ever try to fit one of these ?

The short answer is no.
I saw that a nice chap called Chris was selling a 1250GSA on this forum and noticed from his photo's that he had the enduro engine guard and Avant fender extender set up so asked him if he had any fouling issues. He did but he was happy to live with them and sent me more detailed pictures which I hope he won't mind me sharing:

i-kxh5c8N-M.jpg

i-4RvZ87F-M.jpg

i-3vn9ddn-L.jpg

I really don't fancy setting about a very expensive piece of plastic with a heat gun, or whacking an even more expensive £250.00 piece of aluminium with a hammer which is an alternative suggested elsewhere. Similarly I couldn't live with the rubbing above so I've decided to pass on it for now unless there is an alternative to the Avant that provides appropriate clearance (the Advrider link is not a GSA with the Pyramid plastics mudguard extender).

Back
Top Bottom