Crashbars

Hoff

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A quick question about crashbars on a R75/6.
The crashbars fitted have definitely seen better days and before I take the plunge and buy new ones at a scary price can I ask is it worth it?
There are lots of comments for and against crashbars on the net so I thought I would ask here.
TIA
Paul

It's on a hexhead so may not be directly relevant but on Sunday I was rear-ended waiting at a junction by a friend on a Tiger 800. I went down on the right-hand side and the only damage to the bike was the paint on the engine bars and the mirror needed adjusting. The bike was rideable: without the bars I was potentially looking at a new valve cover and recovery.

The standard crash bars on an airhead offer pathetic protection. My experiences are on G/S and GSs but I’ve twice gone down on the right at low speed and as well as the crash bar the underside of the rocker cover has contacted the ground and worn through, once so seriously I needed recovery. There’s a better design of crash bar which has a bar running under the rocker cover. These offer brilliant protection but reduce your ground clearance if you’re going for it in an Alpine hairpin bend on tarmac. For the record, if you go for it in an Alpine tarmac hairpin with the standard crash bars, because of suspension compression the rocker cover grazes the road before the standard crash bars!

Cheers Steve do you have a link to the better design of crash bars?
Cheers

Crashbars?

The only time I've come off my '89 GS - so far - was a very low speed spill offroad and the standard bars prevented any sort of damage or injury.
At the end of a long day in the saddle I failed miserably to execute an awkward hillstart on a sharp bend and the heavily laden bike went down. Fortunately only my pride was dented...
The bike went over on the downhill side and simply rolled gently onto the crashbars - which, combined with the panniers, stopped me getting a leg trapped underneath. They also kept the bike propped up, leaving it at a convenient angle for lifting. I'd rather have them than not.

Need depends on speed, stock bars will protect from falls off the stand, or at around walking speed.
Much faster and you need something longitudinal as well as vertical, most engine bars for other bikes divert back in either a V OR D shape so if you go down on your side the bike will slide on the bars.
Hopefully faster then you if you are approaching a cross roads!

D shaped ones were around a few years back from MB/MW, but expensive so probably not a big seller.

Back
Top Bottom