Bike security on the NC500

Did it a few years ago . No issues . bikes left outside the Hotels at night , steering lock on was all . great trip and very friendly people

What have you seen mentioned on here a few times ??

It was the constant mention of selecting accommodation with secure/ off-street parking that got me thinking that there may be a reason for it (other than common sense).

It was the constant mention of selecting accommodation with secure/ off-street parking that got me thinking that there may be a reason for it (other than common sense).

always take as much security as you can. there are thieving fuckers everywhere.

Brilliant, thanks for all the replies! I'm glad to hear that most agree its pretty safe up in those parts.

Safe? Nobody said it's safe, they just said your bike will probably not be stolen.

Between the sheep, the deer, the wild Haggis, the pheasants, the albatross sized seagulls that shit over a kilo at a time that can knock you off your bike plus the tourists every blind corner is a lottery not to mention the dreadful road surfaces, huge potholes, tons of gravel all over the place all risks escalated by persistant pouring rain making the roads like oil skid pans. Then you have to cope with the hundreds of midgies that get ito your helmet and try to eat you alive, especially the giant sabre toothed Skye variety.

Safe? No way.

It's amazing I've managed to stick it out for the 36 years I've lived here. Well 36 next week.

:D :augie

Been up there many many times, including organising a trip a few weeks back. In Inverness I booked a B&B big enough for us all, with a few room choices (some wanted their own, others happy to share a twin room to save on £), and close enough to town to walk for food and beer. They have a large car park round the back of the house, with out-of-sight parking that felt pretty safe (on a nice quiet road). This was it https://www.albanabbey.co.uk/
I would do the same in larger towns like Fort Bill - altho many guest houses are on the main road South of the town, and pretty safe I would say.
Parked many times in the smaller Northern towns (like Ullapool, Durness, etc) and never been an issue.
On my own I just travel light (wee roll bag on back seat) and don't bother with panniers - so no room for extra huge locks

What you do need to be wary of is foreign tourists in hire cars or dare I say it even so called professional coach drivers from Europe forgetting what side of the road they should be driving on. This is such a problem that there are even road side signs in various languages reminding our foreign tourists of this minor point!

e2aad0114f81413fb7d31ec560901392.jpg

We google earthed the hotel in Inverness that we stayed at and they had parking around the back. Just locked the bike to each other. Safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Common sense dictates why take the risk, use a decent lock and park sensibly, especially if a hotel has a garage (use it).

When I was in the job it was shocking how many visitors bikes were stolen in rural areas

Never locked the bike on tour. Anything has yet to be stolen.

But Scotland is a thief's paradise. I took a boat anchor chain with me just to be safe that it won't be moved. Brilliant idea. I could also sell in on here once I'm back home on Sunday from hooning around in Scotland. I won't need again. It is shit going to Scotland, avoid at all costs.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

This made me smile ........

And there was me wondering what I should do when I go to Wales in September :)

I gave up lugging a small cable lock to Europe some time ago.

But Scotland is a thief's paradise. I took a boat anchor chain with me just to be safe that it won't be moved. Brilliant idea. I could also sell in on here once I'm back home on Sunday from hooning around in Scotland. I won't need again. It is shit going to Scotland, avoid at all costs.

Absofukinlootly don't go,you may never come back!

:D:D:D:thumb:beerjug:

I’ve never worried about the bike north of FW, just park it up - it will be there in the morning.

Many trips to Scotland and never an issue, generally just use a decent disc lock.....Until, we stopped overnight in Fraserbrough :eek: as part of an 8 day tour!
We stayed in a Weatherspoons pub in the town center on a Saturday night and the only place to park was at the front of the pub.
Pub/Hotel was excellent until kick out time, when 30/40 drunken teenagers tried to use our bikes as props for their "tick tok" video's!
This naturally didn't go down well and we needed to maintain a guard on the bikes until the "party" had dispersed :friday:friday:friday:friday:friday:barf:barf. (hindsight and research is a lesson learnt). Never again!
Don't let this put you off, Scotland is fantastic just make sure you understand where your staying before you book the hotel, a pin in the map without research is not advised.:blast:blast

Well you did choose to stay in a fishing town and in the cheapest pub in town so predictable I think

Must've moved the NC500 :blast

I know, we've done the 500 so many times so you've got to mix it up to make it different, interesting etc. ie: in reverse, west to east, try to visit places we've never been whilst roughly following the route (1600 miles actually covered over the 8 day trip).
Slightly off -topic I know as not official route followed but as stated bike security never really been as issue if you actually check where you are planning to stop/stay (unlike myself with Fraserbrough).

Back
Top Bottom