Bike security on the NC500

mattatron

Reaction score
I'm planning a 4 day trip around the area in September and I was wondering what the consensus was on locking bikes up over night?

I've travelled Europe many times and never lock my bike up, but I've seen it being mentioned on a few posts here. I may have to buy a LiteLok or something to take with if required. Thanks

Ive done it a few times.

Up in the remote areas NW I don't think you'd have any dramas, I use my Disk Lock out of habit.

In Inverness, or any other sizeable place I use a decent Disk Lock.

Id just be a little selective about where you park :okay

The safest thing to do is not ride the NC500 at all!! Hopefully by September the traffic will be less as Europe will be open but last week we only rode a couple of short sections and it was not fun. Heaving with motorhomes, constantly stopping at the narrow sections as the behemoths give way to each other. There are some great roads in Sutherland with barely a car on them and fantastic scenery. Keep your options open. Back on topic, I just used a disc lock for peace of mind but we were camping so right next to bike anyway

Invite Warlord, nothing will get within 100 metres of your bikes before tripping a Claymore.

No GB, no Union Jack, no Cross of Saint George just the Saltire and SCO. An insurance policy against vandalism in Scotland and Europe. Anywhere for that matter. 😂😂

I’ve also been round. Few times, no problems with bikes at all. Hotel or camping ? We stayed hotels so normally checked out were we could park when booking, round the back ? Out of sight etc ? We also used a disc lock for additional measures. Have a great trip

I’ve done the north of Scotland several times and I don’t think theft/vandalism is likely to be a problem. The only thing I use is a disc lock.
The biggest problem up there are Motorhomes. Usually rentals, can’t handle them so it’s driven slowly along the middle of the road. Badly parked and frequently blocks the road when there are 2 oncomers trying to pass each other.

A couple of years ago I was at the Strathcarron hotel and Andrew the owner was telling us that there had been a crime within the previous 5 years

Some farmer had a gate pulled over !

I've been visiting the Scottish Highlands including the Inverness area on the bike for the last ten years approximately and never had a problem. I don't use a bike lock, I leave the bike in the main carparks on display etc and they've never been tampered with. Its a different world in those parts of the UK, I wouldn't leave my bike on my drive overnight and yet in Scotland I don't give it a second thought.

The only place in Scotland I was advised to hide the bike was in Edinburgh, so I did as I was advised there had been an escalation of bike related thefts. I'd be in no rush to re-visit Edinburgh, give me the countryside everyday.

Not heard of any thefts of bikes or gear recently, quads and farm machinery yes, but not bikes.
When I am out and about in the highlands I don't tend to use any locks, although I do take the key out of the ignition just to be on the safe side :)
The safest place to park in Inverness is the the Old Town Rose Street multi storey, free, undercover and CCTV monitored,they even have lockers to store gear.

If you don't bother in Europe then why bother up here? Its not as if its the middle of Surrey or likes. In the big towns and cities in the central belt then yes, up here not required you can leave keys in ignition for days or go out and forget to close back door. The biggest criminals are the bloody sheep. Cant remember the last time our local bobby had to fill out a theft report.

I live a town over from Rochdale and near the city of Manchester
round here if its not tied down and guarded by the SAS its fair game.

Its hard not to think everyone is a theiving bastard, but we have to remember not everywhere IS like that.

Scotland or at least the Highlands are pretty safe it seems, i would go as far to say, that if you did get something robbed up there, its likely to be a scroat visiting and doing the NC500!!!

Brilliant, thanks for all the replies! I'm glad to hear that most agree its pretty safe up in those parts.

Back
Top Bottom